HybridZ

Where to get a V8?

Guest Anonymous

Nion quote: "Where can I get a 350 for cheap?" Scour the Nickel/money saver ads. Do not overlook Buick/Pontiac/Oldsmobiles that may have SBC engines (look for the 4 bolt valve covers). Lot of old vans have 4 barrel 350 SBC engines.Do you know any one with an auto dealer license since a lot of vehicles with cosmetic problems go "for cheap" If you see somthing interesting stop and knock on the door/ I was given a GMC pickup with 350 sbc for just inquiring about a Z in the driveway. Keep looking ..they are out there.

Guest Anonymous

Sorry for the misquote, I went off Mikes, but the implication was that 250 hp was silly for 1500 bucks and I took exception (besides I paid a little over 1250). Before anyone thinks that 250 hp is so weak, consider another number. TORQUE. HP is directly proportionate to RPM, but torque is what does the work. My crate RPM's to make 5k before it falls off, however it makes torque thats WAY usuable at 1500 rpms and pulls strongly to 5k. Even with only 250 hp, the torque is way over 300 ft/lbs or roughly double a stock L6. Also consider many are happy with the Ford 302 which stock is 'only' 225 hp but they get a weight break and they're fast at that HP rate.

As mentioned to each his own, I just want people to be fair and considerate to others and consider not everyone here is trying to get in the 10's and maybe a lower hp rate with good torque is adequate for some of us. Sorry if I went off, but I think it needed to be said, its not the first post I've seen with that tone lately and I wanted to call attention to that.

Respectfully,

Lone

Guest Anonymous

Lone: . good points about torque vs HP. I always learn from your posts...... Nion after 2 years your post is still sparking interest. Get rid of that motor and start all over again now that you have all this unwanted advice.. The hunt is my passion and I prefer the seeking preoccupation to the ride.Today, Nate and I just drug home a free 1985 Jeep that needs a transmission. Next week I will figure out what to do with it.