HybridZ

best place to find oem parts for 73

Guest thomasat

Guest thomasat

I just purchased my first z. 1973 all stock but it needs a few little things such as some wireing and interior work. It was a texas car but it spent a third of its life here in Wi. I was wondering, first where is a good place to get the parts, I have a victoria british catalogue but am a little hesitant. Secondly is $2400 a decent deal for a 73 with 80,000 miles on it. Just one rust spot, otherwise solid working order. Bluebook was 4,000 but i really don't know if that really reflects the right value. I would say that it is close to fair condition. thanks

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 240hybrid

VB and MSA are the main 2 suppliers for Zparts. http://www.zcarparts.com is MSA's site and you can order a catalog from that page or parts from their online store. http://www.zbarn.com in TN is a good place and will ship used (and some new) parts to you. He sells 3 conditions of each part, great, good, and ok. Prices vary, but he's a good guy. http://www.zparts.com has some parts also. If would cruise ebay and see if there are any descent prices on the parts you need/want also. Good luck and welcome to the board. Just curious what kind of parts are you looking for...I have closet full of stuff, might have something you can use??

Chase

Guest thomasat

I'm looking for a dome light, the switch broke, and a hood release cable. The other thing that I needed was brackets on the rear hatch to mount the gas shocks. Thanks for the reply I'm really not looking forward to going through all of the electrical lines. Thats why there is winter in WI, I guess. Thats funny that your 73 has the same body problems, i.e. the rear quarter.

Guest bastaad525

I have a guy who can get you almost ANY 240 part you need... used though, not new... but lots of hard to find parts that usually CANT be found new. Very good prices, I've been dealing with the guy for approx 7 years now. His name is Jack, he's in Glendale, CA, but will ship items to you. He does a lot on ebay also, but I dont know what his screen name is.

You can call him on his cell phone, 818-298-2549, and tell him Bryan gave you his number if you call him. Not sure about the cieling light but I"m 95% sure he can get you a hood latch cable in good shape cheap, he just replaced mine about 2 mos ago.

Guest 240hybrid

I don't think I have any of those parts, but I'll take a look and email you if I find any. The classifieds at zcar.com is descent place for parts also. I rebuilt my dome light when it wouldn't pop/switch off, and it's been fine since. I don't use it much though. There aren't that many parts in it and I just bent out/opened the small part that swivels/rotates when you press the light. The junkyard is a great place for small parts if you can find one with a Zcar.

As for that 1/4 panel, I never did ask the PO what happened there. I took it as a learning experience fixing it, even though I was cursing him half the time I was patching it... :lol: . I take it that yours has some damage there too?? $2400 for yours sounds like a good price since it's mint and runs good. Would like to see pics if you get the chance. Take it easy.

Chase

Guest 240hybrid

If I remember correctly theres 2 prongs in the dome light switch that I bent out some more so that contact is made easier. I had to reseat the little disk with the other 2 contacts that had popped out of place causing the light to be stuck on.

Chase

• 2 weeks later...
Guest thomasat

Thats cool, I just moved here from Milwaukee four months ago. I hope to do just a simple (hopefully) sbc conversion. I'm really not going to get a start on it until this summer though. I'm just working on getting some small things taken care of in the mean time. Do you know of any salvage yards that have z parts around here? Thier kind of rare up here in the north woods.

thanks

What part of Milwaukee did you come from? I originally bought my Z to do a SBC conversion also, but my buddy sold me a Buick GN drivetrain for $1K, couldn't pass that up!

I feel the winter time is the best to do stuff to your Z, because you are not in a hurry to get it back together to drive it. This way you take more time cleaning, painting, ect..

As for salvage yards... not very many have Z cars. I know of two yards around here that have a 280Z and the other has a 260Z. They are pretty rare to find anywhere in Wisconsin, in the salvage yards or driving on the road. I'm planning on going to get the stub axles from the 280Z next Saturday. While I'm there, I can look at the dome light, hood release cable and the hatch brackets for you. If they are decent, I'll pick them up. If all goes well, I'll drop you an E-mail and let you know. What's your spending cap on those three items?

Oh yeah, on my '73 there is only one gas shock to hold up the rear hatch

!M!