HybridZ

anyone twin turbo'd there sbc? need info

Guest tyrfryr

Guest tyrfryr

i am about to build a new bad bowtie for my 350chevy 280.. its goin to be a 383 stroker with forged components .. brodix aluminum heads, bla bla.. im either going to run a holley/vortech supercharger.. or twin turbo set-up. i want a tt setup way more becuase my 88 shiro 300zxt is turbo... and i love the sound and boost. so far everyone thinks the supercharger is more economical and all.. but i want to be different. has anyone tt'd there small block carb chevy.. or have info. thanks alot. alot..

Yes, I built a TT383 in my 72 Z. If you can fabricate the components or you have the money to let someone else do the work, you too, will have an awesome Z. I did most of the fabrication myself and a friend loaned me the turbos. There are photos in the TurboSupercharger forum under TT383 Chevy in early November. Hopefully, I can help you with your project. :)

Hanns

If I were to do it again, I would just add a couple of hair dryers to a well built 350 rather than a 383 (I am about to drop a 383TT in my car). We like to say that there is no replacement for displacement, but that is not true. Boost is the replacement for displacement. At 1 bar (about 15psi) you are effectively doubling the size of your motor (15 psi of atmosphere and 15 psi of boost). A 350 therefore becomes a 700 ci swamp rat motor and the 383 becomes 766--not really as significant of a difference. Also, the greater torque of a 383 could be a liability when the boost kicks in. You may already be spinning your wheels with 450 ft-lb of torque, and adding boost on top of that will only cause you sit and spin more.

Along those lines, I would consider using a single, larger turbo to simplify the installation. Turbos are not really that much more complex relative to superchargers when you consider the benefit of easily adjustable boost. Dual turbos are a theoretical advantage because you can use smaller quicker spooling turbos to reduce turbo lag. I don't think lag is as much an issue with a V8, however. Even a 350 can make enough torque to burn rubber. Boost that kicks in at low RPM's can worsen traction problems. A larger turbo, such a the bigger T-series turbos that kick in with greater amounts of boost at higher RPMs would feel like you have a rocket behind you. :twisted: .

Whatever you chose, I think you have to plan well and bolster your suspension, brakes, chassis, etc. I'm still not sure what I'm going to do about my rear end. I've got an R200 with a Quaife. That's not the weak link, I'm told. It's the axle shafts, which are prone to fail long before the differential. I use Ross's CV half shafts. Hope they last. I don't really want to switch to a solid Ford diff, and independent rear Ford or Jag assemblies cost mucho bucks. Maybe I should form a betting pool to see how long my rear lasts. The winner gets a really nice rear with a Quaife LSD-you would only need to replace an axle shaft. :-D

Anyway, have fun, boost away.

BTW, I'll hopefully be posting pics of my turbo motor in a few days, just before I drop it into the engine bay.

Guest tyrfryr

thanks guyz, turbo meister~ i searched many times and could not find your post.. i would like a great deal of information, hassles, and cost info on this turbo swap.. i thank yall also for the sites~ but this is strickly carb motor.. dont want to wire all the efi/tpi/tbi stuff in... thanks anyway~ but turbo meister if you can help me tt my 383 carburated motor... i would appreciate it. feel free to email me and i will be looking forward to hearing from you~ thanks alot ... also dont i need to run carbs built for supercharging/turbos.. due to vacuum and boost issues?

• 3 weeks later...

I read the info from the "Hangar 18 fabricators" and believe they definitely know how to prep a carb for blow through turbo use. Their Vega runs similar dragstrip numbers as my Z.

They have not enclosed the carb inside a box, like mine, which requires much more modification. However, their system allows much quicker access for rejetting purposes. Their box intercooler should work well, but it requires a large hood scoop for clearance. My system provides plenty of clearance for the stock hood and maintains the street car appearance. But currently I don't have an intercooler.

For a turbo blow through carb system you can't go wrong with their instructions.

Hanns