HybridZ

SBC 350 Horsepower Estimate?

Guest ckmoss01

Guest ckmoss01

Hi Guys:

I thought I'd throw this out and see if anyone cares to estimate what kind of power I am generating in my 350.

Here is what I know:

Block Casting Number: 3970010

Block Casting Date: L28 0 (December 28, 1980?)

Holley Carb: 4777-4 (Looks like it pulls 650 CFM from MorTec)

Edelbrock Performer Intake

Hooker Blockhugger Headers

Dual 2 1/2 inch pipes into straight through muffler w/ 2 1/2 outlet

That is as much as I know right now. Is this enough or are there additional critical elements?

Thanks for all of the help.

Chris

Curious to get something close, because I'd like to quiet down the exhaust for more enjoyable daily driving.

Chris,

You left out some very critical factors in determining HP. What type of cam are you running and what are the specifications. The cam determines at what level your HP and Torque peaks. You could have a wild cam that maximizes its power at 7500 RPM but if your cylinder heads are incapable of breathing at that level you will have a slug. The Performer Manifold is just one step above a stock manifold so you need a mild cam with it because it won't flow at higher RPM'S. You also need to know what compression ratio the engine has. The 4777 carb is a double pumper and the higher jetting and dual squirters might be too rich for a mild cam. once you supply the missing information a guess could be made about the potential power of the engine. Good luck,

Hanns.

Guest ckmoss01

Thanks Hanns:

I'll try to figure out what kind of cam I am running along with the compression.

I am curious about your comment, because at higher revs, the car seems to be starving for air or something, so I wonder if that could be the effect of an incorrect cam/carb relationship? I am totally new to engines, so I am probably way off track.

I'd prefer to have better low to mid range performance, but I don't want to bog out when I need to get on it and prove a point.

Thanks for the help!

Chris

Guest Big Geek

Chris, if you will run a compression test on the car you can get pretty close on the compression ratio. Cheers !!!

Jim C.

P.S.- You may want to include the type of cylinder heads and if they are GM a casting number if possible. This will help to give you a rough estimate.

Hey you know what a good way to find out how much HP you are running....bring it down to Fox Valley Tech and put it on the dyno! :D I am pretty sure its up and running. I know we had some trouble with it last year but I "think" they got it all fixed up.

I'm going to put my car on there this spring and see where Im at as far as HP/TQ.....for FREE!!!!!!! Ahhhh yes the benfits of being friends with all your former teachers! :D

Chris you still have to come down some Wednesday night so we can meet each other. The drag car group doesnt meet for another 3 weeks so it will have to be after that but I deffinetly want to meet another Hybrider! :D

Guy

• 2 weeks later...

Big Geek

How do you determine cr from compression test?

I thought 165lbs meant CR * atmosphere + atmosphere =

atmospere (CR + 1)

or

165 =~ 10 CR is that what you meant? I was also told this was not correct so would like to know if there is a way to estimate it

thanks