HybridZ

new here...350t.p. & 6-speed, Exhaust??

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hi, everyone! Glad I found this place... Geez, those "other" places really get mad if you chop up yer Z. Yikes. Ok, I have a '74 with a '89 Tuned Port 350 and a '96 Camaro 6 speed. How the heck to you get the exhaust around the drivers side of the bell housing? That thing sticks out like a sore thumb. I'd like to run it clear out the back, but with sub-frame connectors and cross members for the trans, I might have to run it out the sides. It wouldn't be very sleepy then, would it? Has any one done this yet? Surely I can't be the first. Pics would be great. Thanks!

Guest Anonymous

Man, a guy just can't hide from his mistakes around here... :rolleyes:

If you go that route, two things will need addressing:

1) The pipes go under the starter and makes it extra toasty, a heat jacket on the starter wouldn't hurt a bit.

2) Its low. :mad: If your car's lowered you'll be hanging up on driveways. It can be done better than I did it here, particularly if you have a hoist or a good muffler man to do the work for you, as you can see mine was pieced together right in there and is less than ideal. A nice Y pipe (bought, like a flowmaster rather than my ratty made one) and tighter bends coming off the right side header (passenger side) would make things much more sanitary. I'm sure others have done it with a pipe on each side, but this seems like the most logical solution considering how big the T56 is in the tunnel. I'd maybe show the pictures to a muffler shop and say do this, but make it fit nicely.

3) Use a shorter can muffler of some sort. Thats a rather long can summit turbo muffler and it sounds pretty good, its deep but not loud and raspy, but it could use a shorter can so it fits up in there more flush than mine. You'll need to probably locate a donut exhaust piece (see Pete Paraska's site for what that looks like) to get a reasonably tight bend from the muffler headed over to the differential.

Hope that helps, just wanted to give you the problems I've faced with my system I built. I highly suggest people don't try exhaust system building on a car on jackstands its to many trips up and down back and forth to the saw and you don't get a good perspective of how low it is (the exhaust system that you eyeballed and were sure it was tucked up there nicely) on jackstands, when you let it down you go 'DOH!!!!!!!' :D

Regards,

Lone

Guest Anonymous

OMG what a pain in the butt. Well, that really gives me a good idea. I will file these pics and bring them to my muffler guy. I really appreciate that. I am doing a really cool subframe connector set up... I'll post 'em when I get them close to in. They double as a transmission mount also, so there won't be alot of torquing from the HP. That's really where the problem with the exhaust comes in. I've been told that a ovaled 3" tube will do the trick... Have you heard about that?

ZCC Welcome!

I would love to see pics of your subframe connectors. I just got my Z up on a rotisserie and am in the process of getting materials together to emulate Pete Paraska's connector design. I'm also putting in a T56 so, your design sounds very intriguing.

Guest Anonymous
Originally posted by zcarcrazy:

I've been told that a ovaled 3" tube will do the trick... Have you heard about that?

Yeah, I believe its the stock car guys that are using that. At any rate it would help alot, or it will become naturally oval (see the long scratches in my pipe visible in the above pictures). I believe Spintech sells the oval tube and thats what I'd use if you have the dough, they also make custom mufflers which could be cool to get exactly the case you want on the muffler and they sound really good, but theres plenty of other choices already on the shelf. I had a flowtech terminator and it sounded pretty awesome when it was wound out. I'd use the oval stuff at all the low points and you'll probably have decent clearance. Good luck with it.

Regards,

Lone

Guest Anonymous

I will get some pics of the sub-frame connectors as soon as I can. They are not in yet, but the design of them is in place and the fabrication is done, I just gotta paint 'em and install 'em. They're pretty straight forward, real simple. The beauty of it all is that the 6-speed lines right up with the O.E. hole for the O.E. trans, so I didn't have to cut the body in the trans tunnel for the shifter, therefore keeping the structural integrity of the body (what little it has). My car has zero rust anywhere, and that helps, too. When you're working with a rusty car, there's a potential for problems right there. When I first decided I wanted a Z, a friend told me to get one that wasn't rusty, or prepare to spend big bucks. So, I did and I'm really glad. There's aolt of folks out here that are so proud of thier cars, but the rust just kills them. There's going to be a lot of welding done on my cat, I like the idea that I actually have something to weld onto!=)