HybridZ

Aluminum block?

Guest SpikeyGG

Guest SpikeyGG

I'm a noob to this board and I have an interest in doing a 350 aluminum block swap. I've discovered the LS1, and I saw that there are a few guys on this forum who have acutally done it already (amazing). I borrowed a friend's PAW (Performance Automotive Warehouse) book and looked through it a little and I saw that they have an aluminum block for sale.

I've found a few prices online for the complete crate LS1 at around $6-6.5k, whereas the block in the PAW book is like $8.5k! and that's incomplete (still need fuel delivery, and whatever else). What is so special about the one in PAW that it's $2k more than the complete LS1? Is there a cheaper place to find the LS1?

Those of you who have the LS1 conversion, what kind of 1/4 mi. times are you seeing? I saw someone post a 12.95. I'm curious if this is about average. Has anyone thought about putting a turbo/blower on the LS1 to get more gains? I know it's like 10.25:1 so you'd probably need different pistons but it'd make for some power.

I know the turbo/blower idea is a little out there but I'm just askin'. Everyone can dream some time or another right? As someone posted before, I'm in the honeymoon stage. :P

I'm glad I found hybridz!

-Greg

[/url]

If you don't know what's changed in the world of small block chevy, here's a rundown. As has already been stated, the aluminum block in the PAW book is modeled after the old chevy SB. It was never produced by the factory in aluminum (maybe never isn't quite correct, but never in a production car) So the one in the PAW catalog was designed to be an iron block.

The LT1 came out in 93, it is very similar to the original small block, but several funtions were re-designed. The cooling system is completely different, and the distributor was also re-designed. However, this block mounts in exactly the same way as the original small block, making it a good choice for swaps into chevy-powered vehicles. (accessory mounting is a bit of a problem in the z's, well, AC anyway) The LT1 came with aluminum heads, but never an aluminum block. Like the original chevy small block, someone will probably make it available in alum soon, but the price will be sky high.

Finally, sometime around 98, the LS1 was introduced. This engine has almost nothing in common with the original chevy engine. The mounting, the valve layout, basically everything was re-designed. This engine was designed to be an aluminum block engine, and so does not suffer from some of the problems inherent in the aluminum blocks based on the original small block.

Because the LS1 is so different, nothing from the earlier line of chevys is compatable. Headers, engine mounts, and trannys all have to be designed specifically for the LS1. This makes the LS1 more expensive by far than the average chevy engine, and the swap is also more expensive by far than the average engine swap.

If you are serious about the LS1 engine, it will cost some bucks. The folks who have done it posted a Minimum of $7000 to do the swap. Most people would agree that you can do a simple chevy smallblock engine for around $3000. Both of these figures assume you already have a good-running Z, and they include the price of the engine. They also assume that you do the minimum to make the swap work, and don't get distracted by adding on a million other projects.

Guest SpikeyGG

Thank you baddriver! That was an extremely helpful and informative post! I've learned a lot more. It sounds like what I want is the LS1 because it's redesigned to make up for some of the original SB short comings. Thanks again!

"It's a good thing I don't need an A/C!"

-Greg

Guest SpikeyGG
One more item you need to know Spikey. The LT1 and older SBC will bolt in with the JTR or MSA kits. The LS1 has no kit and requires fabricating your own engine mounts.

I found that out a few days ago using the ever useful search function, but I haven't been able to find photos of the adapters that people have made. I don't suppose anyone could take few shots for me? :) I'm up to the challenge for creating the mounts and adding support where needed, I guess I'll need the engine first so I can see how the supports need to be.

Thanks,

-Greg