HybridZ

Should I be able to do this? (driveshaft)

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

I was under my Z the other day working on the exhaust, and I decided to try to wiggle the driveshaft (not sure why, probably because I am curious about the u-joints). Anyways, I found that I could move it side to side just a tiny bit and twist it a tiny bit without moving the part where it mounts to the transmission and where it mounts to the differential. Should the driveshaft have any play in it like this? Should I just stop worrying and stop wiggling stuff? :roll:

I found that I could move it side to side just a tiny bit and twist it a tiny bit without moving the part where it mounts to the transmission and where it mounts to the differential. Should the driveshaft have any play in it like this?

No, that is not good. If you have any play in the u-joint you need to replace it.

Let's make sure we're talking about the same thing though. The part of your driveshaft that slips into the tranny is called the yoke. Grab it with one hand and the driveshaft with the other. If you have play here then the u-joint is bad. Do the same thing with the other end to test the rear joint.

Hey Nic-Rebel450CA :

Without seeing it, I would guess that the needle bearings are gone along with one of the U-joint cups. There should have been some sort noise or a vibration as well.

Never stop wiggling stuff. That’s when something will surprise you.

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

Ya, I have had a slight "clunk" when I shift without feathering the clutch a little, and quick acceleration after decelerating. When I moved the driveshaft, the yoke remained stationary as the driveshaft moved. It only moved ever so slightly, but I was thinking that it shouldnt and should be about as rigid as one solid unit. How long can I keep driving it the way it is? Is it probably ok to keep using my car as a daily driver while I wait for new U-joints to be shipped to me?

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

D'oh! Guess it's time to park the Z and take the truck back out then. Is there anything else that I can do while I'm under there to start getting the drivetrain ready for my V8 swap? (new or newer components).

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA
Sounds like a good excuse to start now.

I'd love to start now, but I am no where near ready. The only engine that I have right now that I could put in is the 455 that is supposed to go in my truck. (No, dont try to persuade me :P ). I might see how quickly I can find parts to build the engine I want.