HybridZ

Proud Papa needs feedback on new V8Z

Guest 240Z_72

Guest 240Z_72

Hello! Just picked up my V8Z this morning. I just couldn't wait until I finish my '72, so I took a chance on Ebay and committed before I laid eyes on the beast, scary proposition. For the price, I really didn't check it as thoroughly as I told myself I would, I jumped all over it for $2k. Check it out: 76 280Z,300hp SBC, JTR style, 4bbl intake (not sure what), 750 double pumper, fuel pressure guage, 6pt. roll cage, 12gal. fuel cell, Moroso switch panel with line lock, programable shift light, water temp light, oil pressure light, all autometer dash top mounted, rev. limiter, racing buckets, 4pt. harnesses, TH350 auto with Z-Gate shifter and B&M transpak, carter fuel pump, MSD 6al PLUS he threw in the 5-speed manual he had just removed for the TH350. Shorty headers with straight pipes turned out behind the door. Dang good looking body with purple urethane paint, body has been marine fiberglassed. Sounds like a lot for $2k, huh? Ok, so I drove it 250 miles home today....no overdrive and LOUD as hell holy cow. I have a question about the TH350. The guy just put it in and gave it the thumbs up for great condition. He told me he removed the 'modulator', and I would have to shift manually with the Z-Gate, unless I wanted to put the modulator back on. I had some trouble with it once I got back to my home town. It had a little trouble dropping into 3rd. Sometimes it just wouldn't go, and sometimes it would but would slip like hell. I am trying to figure out if this can be mis-adjusted linkage, or if the tranny is close to toast??? Or maybe a problem with the converter? I think he said it's a 2800 stall (I've never used one before). When I whack the Z-Gate, it really snaps the shift and chirps the tires, which it should, but this slipping in 3rd concerns me. How can I determine what the deal is?

The other big question is the cooling. The stock Z radiator is still there, and on the Interstate today at 90 degrees outside, the water temp held steady at 190 degrees (This is at 3500 RPM's for 3 hours...so maybe OK?) In town it's around 170. Is this okay? How hot is too hot?

Here's links to a few photos!

http://showcase.netins.net/web/kms/engine.jpg

http://showcase.netins.net/web/kms/purpleZ2.jpg

P.S. -Holy Sh*t!!! I've never been in a V8Z until today! I almost had to empty my pants after I made the guy take me for a test drive before I paid him hail.gif This is gonna be fun rockon.gif

-Kurt

Excellent find for $2K. Can't tell you how much money you saved by going that route since you had the chance. I can't tell you much about the TH350, but did you smell the tranny fluid? Does it smell burnt? That would give you an idea, but not if he just changed the fluid.

The operating temperature is excellent--DON'T CHANGE A THING! 190 degrees is fine, and 170 in town is fantastic. If you had an overdrive, like that 5 speed, I bet your highway temps would be about 175 or so. Perfect. Congrats on the find!!!

Davy

Without a modulator, a TH350 shifts like a dog, especially into 3rd. You think it's never gonna shift, and when it finally does, it feels very VERY mushy. Vacuum hose going to the modulator used to fall off on my el camino all the time. When i really had to abuse it to get it to shift, i knew it was time to replace the hose. FWIW, I would replace the modulator and find out how it shifts then. They are only about 10 bux or so. Trust me, they make a world of difference.

Bill

Guest 240Z_72

Excellent advice. I am hoping it's that easy. But first, I need an exhaust. I can't hit the streets sounding like this. Great news about my water temp too, thanks for the help!

-Kurt

Guest Power_Slave

nonono, you don't understand! Loud is good.

Get a cutout that way you can freak people out with the push of a button:)

Regards,

PowerSlave

Guest Anonymous

Nice score. I agree, put a modulator back on there, if you want a manual shift get a manual valve body, but removing the modulator is NOT the way to do it. Removing it will cause as mentioned a mushy shift and that shift in to third will heat up the fluid and cause premature failure at some point.

I'd get a built 200R OD tranny and put that in, its similar in size, strong enough when built and will give you a much better hiway ride with a OD and a better 1st gear ratio than a 700r/4, just an opinion of course.

But at any rate, 2k is a hell of a score and if I had, had any sort of sense I would have looked for a used Hybrid to buy and go from there like you did. (no one has accused me of having sense :rolleyes:twak.gif ).

IMHO loud is cool for about a week, after that its annoying unless its a saturday night car only, even less time if your local peace officers find it annoying as well, some things are best left unadvertised. Anyway, good score!

Regards,

Lone

Guest 240Z_72

The fan is mechanical. I will get a modulator hooked up asap. Question: Can't I still stift manually with the modulator in? If I'm moving the stick from 1st to 3rd myself, is that worse for it somehow with a modulator on?

Guest Anonymous

You can still shift manually, drop it in low and just bump it up a gear for each shift, I'd make sure the shifter has a lockout for neutral or its easy to shift by third and hit neutral which makes it scream RPM wise much like a missed shift in a manual car. I didn't see what shifter it has, but sounds like its aftermarket which should be fine.

Regards,

Lone