HybridZ

questions about engine building

I am planning out what to do to my 240 right now. I am pretty sure I am going with a 383 stroker. I am havent quite decided yet but I am also pretty sure I want it carburated not fuel injected. FI just seems a little too complex for me with the ecu, wiring, and all that stuff. eventually I am planning on slapping on a procharger supercharger. anyway on to my question. I am considering either buying a pre-built 383 off eBay (like this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1847915131) or buy all the parts seprate and put it together myself or take it to a shop or somthing? also I have seen cams that say they are 1800-5400 rpm and ones that are 2400-6000 rpm. what exactly is the difference preformance wise? ok I hope that made sence thanks for the input I will be posting more questions soon heh. thanks.

Guest Anonymous

Nothing was said about "balancing" on the E Bay stroker motor. This is very important since the stroker could turn into a real shaker. I could not find anything on the Extreme Energy Comp Cam specs as described. Basically this cam grind (?) will cause the engine to come "alive" at 2400 RPM. I do not know whether the 1.6 ratio rocker arms will add low end torque to the unspecified upper RPM cam grind. Dart heads and 10 to 1 compression ratio pistons makes me a little curious about the chamber size of the Dart heads and overall compression making the claim of regular pump gas a fallacy.Questions to ask : balance?, cylinder combustion chamber size?, Dart head specifications?, cam grind?, make of roller lifters?, comression ratio? and a customer list to contact. This manufacturer may have been thrashed on this Forum before. I would like a stroker motor someday but would probably buy a balanced rotating assembly from somewhere like Speed Way Motors or Northern Auto Parts, have the block prepared and put it together very slowly by myself.

Guest greimann

If you are indeed serious about putting a supercharger on it, then you need to buy / build a motor that is designed for it. A forced induction motor is built as a rather conservative motor that makes good power down low where there is little boost and has compression and cam choice that compliments that combination.

well the supercharger is like 2 years down the road and is just a dream right now so I will worry about it when I get there. that eBay link is just an example it was the only decent one for a good price on there at the time. when I do go this route I will make sure it is ballanced and all that. would you go LT1 or carburated? thanks.