HybridZ

BARE BONES V8 SWAP.

Guest bigjim240z

Guest bigjim240z

I want to do a basicv8 swap in a 240z. i planned to do a 302 ford, but it has come to my atention that i will be making everything, then i will have hyeader to steering shaft problems. i dont need problems. i plan to do a quick as possible swap. if it sits too long it will get put to the side. my plans are to find a 350 or 305 chevy with a t5 from a camaro. the plan will be a running motor. i will yank the intake and cam, put in a mild cam with a performance intake and carb, then drop it in the car. ive read about this swap many times and have even read the jtr book. i need to buy the book since i read a freinds and will need my own. does this sound as easy as i want it to be..lol..thanks for any advice. jim

If you are going quick and cheap JTR + chevy is the way to go, although don't count out the ford, if you would settle for manifolds I do believe there is a set of 351W manifolds that will clear the steering bar with the motor in an excellent position. All you need to fab are motor mounts which aren't exactly rocket science. You can use just about everything else from the JTR kit, depending on your driveshaft setup.

Guest bigjim240z

what i like about the ford is the front mounted distributor, the weight (ive heard its alot less than a chevy) and i can get a 302 cheap. the chevy is cheap too, but i have a line on a 302 thats in good working order. im still unsure on what to do, but im starting to lean to the sbc. what the wieght difference between a 302 and a 305-350?

Guest bigjim240z

i still think im gona stay with the sbc. its easier, parts are cheaper and readily available. i guess im gona hit ebay and the yards and start collecting parts.

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

I think most people here that chose to go with the Ford setup have done so for more reasons than just the front mounted distributor. Many people have a particular liking for one make or the other. If you dont have any preference other than which will be easier for you to install, I would suggest a bare bones SBC 350 install. If you like Ford engines, then a Ford setup wont be much more difficult, and should be well worth the extra work if you really want a Ford engine.

You'd be suprised how many times you can change your mind when planning your swap, I think I have about 6 times now :roll: