HybridZ

creative engine lifting task

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

Guest Z-rific

I have an Olds 455 behind my garage. Having moved it there with a friend and his small tractor, I can say from experience, that a fully assembled 455 weighs a shitload. I don't know of anybody who can lift it and hold it in place to bolt in on an engine stand. The size and shape of it make it awkward also.

Try unbolting as much as you can to lighten it up. You can also put something under it and try to pull it to a place that gives you more room.

What do you plan to do with it? I have a '74 Olds 455 and a '70 Olds 350 sitting beihind the garage waiting for inspiration.

If your engine stand is like mine... 2 piece.

Bolt the "holding" part to the back of the engine best done if it's in the back of a pick up with the tailgate down. Then slide the 2 pieces together, then lift it off the tail gate on to the ground. Simple.

ds

Bolt the "holding" part to the back of the engine best done if it's in the back of a pick up with the tailgate down. Then slide the 2 pieces together' date=' then lift it off the tail gate on to the ground. Simple.

ds[/quote']

Oh, you have NO idea how many ways I could f*ck up something like this! Let's see - the engine stand could tip backwards and fall over on its side, or it could come off the bed sideways and crack the block against the pavement, or I could get stuck under it as it fell, or it could roll down the hill of my driveway (wouldn't THAT be a sight!), or....

I think I'm the idiot people plan for when they say "idiot proof". :D

I know this thread is about moving an engine, but all the posts about lifting heavy parts brought back memories. I almost broke my back lifting The rear end from a wrecked Firebird into the back of my truck. I am no power lifter, but I am 6'1" 220 and not small either. But, my brother . . . :shock:

My brother is 6'2" and I joke not, 154 pounds. One day I was pulling up to his house and I saw him dead lift a Dana 60 fully assembled with drum brakes, walk it over to his shed, and tip it on one end. I got to him as he was standing it on end in the corner of the shed but of course he didn't want my help. DUDE, the guy is my hero. :hail: But, I am his chiropractor and have seen too many guys in their 30's with disc problems. I personally have stopped lifting heavy stuff and bought a hoist. So, I scold him every chance I get because he still balances 100+ lb speaker boxes on his head while he mounts them with his one free hand. He installs commercial audio and video in stadiums etc.