HybridZ

sounds like wet finger rubbing rim of crystal goblet

waynekarnes

hmmm, now that it's cold, my fiat, i mean my 72 240 with 280 hubs ( axles, half shafts ), is making a ringing noise from the right rear. due to on going mechanical issues, have only put maybe 10 miles on since feb. 2003.

bought dead V8 z car ( looks like scarab ). snuck it around the block on a few test drives. during the summer, just typical z clunks and such. now, that it's cold, there is a high pitched ringing from the right rear. sounds like a wet finger circling the top of a crystal goblet. is that a bearing ?

car sat for 10 yrs before i got it. prev owner had replaced almost everything, suspension wise, most parts still have the nissan parts stickers on em.

anyway, you think bad bearing ?? inner, outer, hub ???

thanks, wayne

Guest 240hybrid

FIAT= "Fix It Again Tony" :lol:

I think someone mentioned this in a post where this was your second questions, but here are a few things I would check and do...

Drain the gear oil and see if there are a lot of metal shavings in it. Also check the magnetic drain plug for larger chunks....there will be a little bit of shavings depending on how many miles are on the diff., so don't worry if you see a little bit.

Get the car up, and rotate the drive assembly and wheels to see if you notice anything out of ordinary right off bat. Maybe a slight popping or crackling, which will be a bad bearing if you do hear that. You will hear a bit of rotational noise when moving the drive assembly, but if anything strikes you as excessive you might want to start inspecting that part.

Grease all the nipples on your u-joints if you have them. I have see halfshafts with them and without them, but being that you have 280z halfshafts, etc. you may have them. Don't grease your brake bleeder nipple though :o .

Make sure that the brake dust gaurd isn't rubbing the drum also.

One more thing I would do, but be VERY SAFE in doing it. Is point the car away from any structures and get the rear up. Put jackstands in a few structural locations to get the safest working condition. The area where the uni-body has boxed steel reinforce is where I like to put jack stands, just past the end of the floor pans if memory serves me right. Now that the car is up and secured pretty well, have someone start the car up and slowly spin the driveline some to see if you can pin point the location of the noise. Don't get underneath the car while doing this, but try to get close enough to hear where its coming from. I realize this is very unorthodox and has the potential to be very dangerous, but if you take your time and use safety, you can find out where the noise is coming from.

Chase

The two most likely culprits would be... Maybe part of your rear brake hardware has come loose and is dragging the brake drum. I have heard ringing noises in this situation.

The second and possibly the most costly would be low or NO gear oil. I say this because you stated that the previous owner had made lots of repairs and parts changes.

If he neglected to fill the differential it could possibly cause this problem. The brakes also may not have been adjusted properly which could heve left some component loose enough to fall out of place.

BTW... bearings will usually HOWL, WHIRRR, click or grind. I personally have never heard one ring.

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

I thought I made a suggestion, but I dont see it here. Must have a double post, try not to do that Wayne.

Did you get a chance to check the diff oil?

no idea, why is double posting, only send one message ..

car sat for over ten years. i bought it, small block chevy, had a cracked head. now a flat spot in the q jet. been taking short test rides around the block. didn't notice the noise until the temps dropped. 5 to 8 mph, 20 feet from my driveway, ringing starts.

i did do a complete brake job, new metal lines, new wheel cylinders, new green nismo shoes.

i will check the insides see if something came loose or if maybe the backing plate is rubbing on the drum ( please let it be that !!! ). will check all the obvious, if i don't find anything, will jack her up, jack stands and tires well blocked. slip into gear, let clutch out slowly, see if i can hear where the ringing is coming from. inside the car, is LOUD and coming from the right rear. neighbors heard it when i drove by.

had planned on draining and refilling all the fluids, as soon as i get it street ready. right now, it's not what i would consider to be driveable. but, i'm working on it ... ;-}

thanks for the advise, really appreciate the imput ! wayne

Guest 240hybrid

Yeah, like Denny said a ringing is probably something metal rubbing metal, and I can't believe I forgot about this, but I had a similar experience. In your last post you said your pretty sure its coming from the right rear, well I had a return spring that caused the exact "rrrreeeee" or ringing noise kind of like you described, or metal against metal like Denny said. If I remember, I had bent the return spring just enough to where it was rubbing the stubaxle/hub when reinstalling it. My hats off to you Denny......

Maybe part of your rear brake hardware has come loose and is dragging the brake drum. I have heard ringing noises in this situation.

Especially since you just installed new shoes back there, I would lookin inside the drum for signs of rubbing.

Chase

well, i have my fingers crossed, hope it's the brakes or a component there of. would sure be a load off my mind and my shoe string budget.

when the rain stops i will take a look.

i wasn't sure where to post my original message. was suggested that i post in brakes as well as drivetrain.

appreciate all the info. if no rain this weekend, will tear into it and post the results of my find. i am holding out for it being the spring rubbing on the axle.

wayne