HybridZ

Smoking BAD from valve cover!

240hoke

This topic got me interested on my engine condition. So I pulled the plugs and replaced it while I was changing the oil. I found my #5 and #6 seems to be leaner than others. (plugs grey rather than brown). That's what I was expecting because I was blowning headgasket and #5 and #6 cylinder. Just a thought.

Guest Zcarsmakemyheadhurt

Ya, my buddy just broke the crank in two places on a VG30, sending connecting rods and other critical engine components threw the block. The fun thing about it was the car dynoed 755hp at the wheels on a bone stock rebuilt short block. I'm not saying we are gonna make that kinda power out of our engines, but you know you could make a lot with out breaking anything. Specially with a SDS, figure it out and keep us posted. Wazza?

Well here are the pictures of piston #1. I count 4 cracks in the ring lands and a serious piece missing from the piston... the missing piece of the skirt is whats got me, am i dealing with more than detonation?

Besides the obvious note the two cracks in the ring lands:

album_pic.php?pic_id=2456

I've higlighted this one so your can see the cracks:

album_pic.php?pic_id=2457

-Austin

Guest bastaad525

I"m gonna say that the skirt is also a sign of really bad detonation... I've seen pics of another turbo motor that was put thru hell and had ALL SIX pistons with broken ring lands and skirts just like this. Maybe the ping just slams the pistons into the cylinder walls and that's what breaks off those tabs? Not sure what else could cause that but I'm 99% positive that is just another side effect of the pinging, dont think you need to start hunting down other problems.

Guest Tim78zt

Austin, the broken skirt is definitely from severe detonation. My first set of pistons each had a hole the size of a quarter in the skirts. This occurred while it was being dyno-tuned for the initial DFI system install. Yes, an "experienced" shop did that!! On my second set of pistons only #1 broke like yours after the same shop tuned it for my intercooler installation. Yeah, I know, first time...shame on you/ next time...shame on me. Point is it can happen to anyone, so you need to find a tuner you can trust, because they offer NO warranties.

Tim78zt