HybridZ

Suggestions on 90 5.0 & AOD into '79 280ZX?

Guest brushwolf

Guest brushwolf

Hi, I just bought a slightly dented up '90 Crown Vic with 5.0 and AOD. I want to put this driveline into one of my '79 280ZX's. I have done several swaps on older stuff, but have avoided FI and computerized complications til this one. I want to use the FI and AOD this time around. Would appreciate suggestions on this by some of you who have already done it. Including precautions how not to screw up the computerized controls for the FI and engine management. I also have a WC T5 if the AOD is just too complicated, but thought I should have one car that my wife could drive in a pinch also (she is really scary driving a stick..). I would like to retain AC (works at the moment though six is really running poor..). Can I use the Ford serpentine setup as is and plumb Ford pump to Datsun AC unit? My 280ZX car also has the steering gear style power steering in case that makes any difference in swap (does not have R&P style that my other two do..). Any suggestions on removing the 5.0 engine mgmt system relatively intact so don't forget how it goes together again? Are there some comprehendable books that are helpful on the wiring scheme?

I may go thru motor first also being it has turned over 100,000 already, but am not sure yet... Thanks for your input. Mike H

Brushwolf,

I just pulled an LT1 from a Caprice cop car and used twist ties and small round key labeling tags to identify all the connections so I could put everything back together. Don't rely on memory!!! I would think the AOD would be an easier install than the T-5. No clutch mechanicals to deal with and if you don't cut the wires to it you should be OK. I don't know about that year of Ford but the PCM in the Caprice managed the engine and transmission. I'm converting to manual so I'm not worried about the transmission control but I still labeled and salvaged all the control wires to it. I can't answer your other questions but I have seen posts that mention a book published by Ford that outlines how to use the engine management system in an older car. If I remember right it was very cheap, like 5 bucks or so. Search the site, you'll probably run across it at some point.

Ken W.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest fordguy57

So, nobody here is using Ford EFI 5.0's except Mustang one's? I would have thought there would have to be at least a few here... However I posted similar questions on a Mustang site and got almost no feedback there also; so maybe my impression that there were a lot more of these being done now is wrong.....

I am somewhat familiar with a few other EFI setups on the various 5L applications and they are pretty much the same with only a few differences. The main differences are how the wiring harness is laid out (battery and ground connections mainly) and whether or not the EFI is setup for speed density or MAF and the different firing orders between Standard Output and HO engines. This assumes we're comparing EFI among 87-93 cars. I would guess that the reason you see more Mustang EFI info is due to how common the Mustang engine and EFI is and the fact that many who purchase a Ford EFI engine for a swap want the more power and performance oriented setups found in the Mustangs. Externally, the Crown Vic 5L and the 5L HO are very similar but internally they are different and the Crown Vic is down on power. If you don't mind the lower power level the Crown Vic would be a good swap. The torque of the Crown Vic is still more than what came in the ZX so I'm sure the seat of the pants feel would be favorable even though you may be down a few horsepower.

As for the wiring, the Ford harnesses are pretty much a stand alone part. When you remove it from the car be careful to mark each connection (as was stated earlier) and follow it to a connector or end rather than cutting the wire. This will make reinstalling the harness in the ZX much easier. I believe the AOD wiring is part of the engine harness so you may get lucky and not really have to wire much other than the standard 12V+'s and grounds. The wiring on my swap was one of the easier parts of the swap. If you have questions feel free to post them here, the HybridZ members are very helpful.

Josh

get a ford dealer wire harness book called evtm.the aod is not electronically controlled but has the park/neutral/back up light switch on it.the ford pumps(ac,ps) will operate nissan ac and ps.what i do for hoses is cut crimps off of hoses .buy new hose in sizes i need(a/c ,hydraulic).fit hoses.then remove and have crimps installed on hoses at commercial rubber house.get to know your local commercial rubber supplier-better quality and cheaper.i have lots of commercial aeroquip hoses on my car.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest kc280zx

I hope you understand that the motor out of that crown vic is NOT a HO motor, meaning the firing order is different, the pistons are different, and the cam most certainly will be for that firing order. If you want to use any hi performance ford parts on that engine (cams, ignition etc) you might want to look elsewhere.

• 1 month later...