HybridZ

Z to Honda adapters proper offset verification.

I am about to make a > $3k purchase from Ross C's Modern Motorsports and I just wanted to make sure of some specs before I order my wheels. I haven't heard from Ross for over a week now (must be very busy!), and just wanted to verify the info about his Z to Honda adapters. I need to be ready to order asap, I plan to work on the car in a small window two weeks from today.

The Z-Honda adapters make the bolt pattern 4x100, right?

A 42mm offset is ok to keep wheel centerline where it is supposed to be? (putting in coilovers) (16x7.5 wheel)

Also, is there any reason to choose the 5lug over the 4x100? Just a matter of preference? What offset is needed with his 5lug?

Thanks again, guys.

The 5 lug is for wheel preference mostly. You get a much bigger selection in 5 lug, but if you can find the same wheel in 4 lug, go for that and save the money. What brand of wheel will you be using? From the post, I surmise that you'll be going wide, yes?

Davy

No, I'm not going all that wide. 225/50R16 front and either the same in rear or 245/50R16. I'm leaning toward 225 all the way around, I want to keep the nimble sports car feel, plus I'd like the ability to rotate tires all the way around down the road. Being NA, I don't have a huge need for a supersize footprint, especially when I get the Quaife ATB in a 4.11. I've got a pic of the forged wheels I'm putting on in my gallery, SSR Type-C, a mere 11.5 lb. I can't wait to see the difference. I read that unsprung weight dramatically affects accelleration and braking, but I have yet to experience the difference. Can't wait! :D

"must be very busy!"

Yup, Xmas order rush ongoing and 70 hr work weeks still carrying on..nearly done this 9 mos. daytime slug on this one project....emails are all being responded to as quick as I can. Some more involved responses are harder to fit into smaller available timeslots.

" I plan to work on the car in a small window two weeks from today"

I'll most honestly toss up the red flag on 'small window'.....we can all plan to work fast but banking on it isn't always an enjoyable experience.

"The Z-Honda adapters make the bolt pattern 4x100, right?"

Yes, but custom ones can be done in most any other 4 bolt pattern/offset for your 4 lug car. Or in most any other 5 bolt pattern/offset IF YOU'VE already converted to a 5lug pattern (ie. not a 4 to 5lug adaptor from MML, they're not economically feasible to make custom thickness sets per each order) We'll always provide same number of lug bolt pattern adaptors (ie. 4 to 4........or 5 to 5 lug etc).

"A 42mm offset is ok to keep wheel centerline where it is supposed to be? (putting in coilovers) (16x7.5 wheel)"

Offset of your wheel and the adaptor thickness are not one and the same. Most Z's had a positive offset OEM wheel so if a Z had a 10mm positive offset OEM wheel and you want to go to a 42mm adaptor and stay with OEM centreline then you would want a 32mm adaptor. I VERY STRONGLY suggest measuring up your own car as some do NOT LIKE the oem centreline Datsun's place their wheels at. It's too far inboard for these folks and they want their wheels pushed out somewhat. If for ie. a 32mm adaptor placed you at OEM centreline then a 42mm adaptor would push your centreline (and outside wheel/tire edge) out a further 10mm's.

"Also, is there any reason to choose the 5lug over the 4x100? Just a matter of preference? What offset is needed with his 5lug?"

Some choose 5lug because:

-simply as the wheels they like are in a 5lug pattern (my choice, cheap and very available well engineered light/wide OEM wheels, today their are more similar aftermarket wheels in the 4lug patterns that weren't around when I did mine)

-they feel 5lug is more appropriate looking for their buildup

-they favour the additional strength of 5lug pattern over a 4 lug pattern

-for 5lug your rear offset is same as with a 4lug as the rear is only redrilled/prepped, no difference in offset is done with this mod, so any thickness requirement for new wheels comes entirely into the adaptor

-for 5lug front's the 5lug hub used to convert adds approximately one inch of positive offset so this needs to be planned into your adaptors.

-custom adaptors are rarely just a calculation via other webpages or based on other's experiences, when you step to non-standard sizes/offsets and want a specific placement location on your car (I'd ALWAYS go as wide as I could within my OEM fenders for improved handling/greater trackwidth) it's best to just measure up your car, it's not very hard to do and well worth placing your wheels where you want to the first time

"Thanks again, guys"

No worries:)

Ross (back to my emails and packaging) C