HybridZ

help me understand this.....

charge light....i was told :mad: on bad... smile.gif off good....ok i understand that..but im thinking i might have mine wired wrong becaulse i don`t see a problem.

it`s wired per JTR... internal reg. alt. with R/F posts (I think going from memory right now 1am)

anyway if looking from the back, the post close to the strut tower is pluged into the wiring harness and the post close to the motor is wired right to the charge light.

now when i turn the key the meter reads 12v smile.gif ...start the car reads 12v smile.gif ....rev to 2k jumps to 14v light is on now :mad:

recently i was moving cars around and i started it and removed the battery...car dies...start it again..rev to 2k..remove battery car stays running...which tells me alt is working fine and light is also telling me that by being on.

am i wrong? ive used these type alt for a long time with other cars...but this is a first with this stupid light...ive only seen it off once in the month ive been driving it. thanks mark

It sounds like you might have the idiot light connected to the sensing terminal and not the field terminal, like it's supposed to be. The circuit should be:

Battery + terminal

to

idiot light

to

field terminal

The field terminal is near ground when the alternator is not turning or charging, but it's near battery voltage when it's turning and/or charging.

So if it's charging, the idiot light has near battery + voltage on both sides of the filament, and doesn't light. If it's not charging, then the field side of the filament is near ground, and the battery + side is near battery voltage and the light will be on.