HybridZ

possible horse power rating

Guest mr_posey

Guest mr_posey

Hi,

Here is my question.

I just baught a 1979 280zx, its a az car, but not stock.

It has flat top pistons in it, a n42 head, ported polished, shaved and shimmed 0.30, a arizona zcar fuel rail and manifold, with a 240sx throttle body. it has turbo injectors, and has been converted to mass air with a 300 zx computer.. the engine has been balanced. it also has a cam in it, dont know the specs, a set of thorley headers, 2.5 exhaust.

I paid 2800 for this car.

it hauls ass. sounds good. but I dont know the approx hp rating this would put out.

the owner of the car before me had the work done, said it was close too 300. but I have a hard time believing that.

is this car set up well? did he do A good job on the engine?

Help me out here guys. I have owned a few z's in the past, but did nothing further then the exhaust mods and air filter on them.

what I can tell you is that this car hauls ass.

for example, I can be at a dead stop, put it in second gear, and drop the clutch and it will smoke the tires.

it feels like the power band comes on around 1800-2200 rpms. from there it pulls like a raped ape.

anyways what do you guys think..

thanks for the help.

I dont want to go and pay for a dyno test. it doesnt matter that much to me, the car is fast enough to kill me, and fun to drive. that is all that matters to me.

thats a good question. if they shaved the head .030", and it was an N42, chances are your pushing upper 10's for compression, if not more. depending on the port and polish and cam specs and what not, you could be close to the 175 to 200rwhp mark. no joke. Norm the 12 sec dual SU dude is pushing about that with a J/Y stroker set up. if its got the AZ intake manifold and turbo injectors 300zx MAF set-up, its probably right up there. get some 1/4 mile times, that will give you an indication,

McAdam

what kind of horsepower we looking at with just that bolt on

Same as what you started with most likely. Manifolds by themselves, like most bolts ons, don't add much (if any) horsepower. They have to be matched with other modifications to deliver real horsepower increases.

At some point we should probably not allow topics like this ("How much horsepower do I have?"). There's no way to post an intelligent repsonse.

I feel your pain, johnc. however we can assume that the original poster in this thread would have some "more than stock" hp rattling around in his engine. aftermarket cam, header and the AZ intake is probably good for a decent bump in hp. as long as the head was port matched. and if the head is ported and polished, along with the 300zx electronics, it would be intereisting to see what the actual dyno results are.

but, I am also sick of seeing the "how much hp" question without any specifics other than "header, K&N and a cam" a cam? o.k. all engines have "a cam" granted, I have been guilty of this crime in my younger years, lol. hell maybe even recently! Ihave change my "how much HP" to "is this mod worth it" that is a better question for 90% of the poeple asking.

McAdam