HybridZ

Help with the wiring of "universal AM/FM antenna"

Guest jjohart

Guest jjohart

Hi. I had a local mechanic put in a "universal" antenna sold to me by a Z parts salvage guy. It has two leads, both of which have to have power ino order to move up/down, but the Z wiring harness has three, only one of which is powered, the other two depend on whether the dashboard switch is set for half-way up or fully extended. Does anyone know how to get this antenna to work? The mechanic says he has to think of some kind of relay set up, and possibly two switches (!)...I'd like it better if the "diversity" switch on the radio/dash could simply (!) become an up-down switch! ANYONE? ANYONE?

Thanks

John-83 280ZXT

The universal one I put in has a power wire and a actuator wire from the radio sends it up when the radio is turned on. The ground is internal, a strap mounts to the body to ground it. I'm not using the old switch, I've gone with Painless '18 circuit' and it has those two leads.

Guest jjohart

Hi..thanks for the replies, although I'm not articulating it correctly!

First off, what is "painless 18" please explain!

I just stopped at the mechanic's again, and it turns out the antenna has a 3 prong system, but two are red/positive, one either for up down, and the other for up.

The stock Datsun four pin connector block has one ground, one half-way up positive, one fully up positive, and I don't know what the 4th is! My mechanic says he just has to think of a way to do a relay which would allow me to raise and lower the antenna from the "diversity switch", or powering up down the radio. The problem is figuring out how to deal with this antenna, which apparently neeeds some sort of current sensing interemediary relay or something....? I dunno!

Sorry, the 18 circuit Painless harness. I got rid all the Jap wire. Most radios have a wire for operating the antenna, usually its yellow. You have a power wire to do the work but this other wire I think sends the signal.?? Mine isn't ready for a battery yet, so I'm hoping it works. A Haynes manual has a good diagram you need a magnifier to read it. You can trace it back to see how the original wiring is suppose to work. Hope you not more confused now.

Guest jjohart

Ya, me more confused now!!!

Sorry, can't possibly re-wire from scratch, have to somehow make amends between Nissan stock and universal stock/idiosyncratic wiring instructions...does anyone get this?!?!!?!?!?

John