HybridZ

Port and polishing-is it worth it?

Guest jjohart

Guest jjohart

I have a leaky head gasket which will need to be sent out to be repaired and cleaned. One of the most reputable shops told me that porting does very little for all kinds of money, and is little warranted on a turbo car (83 280ZXT). Should I just fix it and leave it alone? I'm running boost of 11-14psi, but don't expect to go higher (intercooled).

John

You really have to know what your plans are for the car. If you are truly satisfied with where you are at now, I would say dont do anything port wise. I would have the valve seals done and get the head cleaned up, and nothing else. You will then have avoided another trap... While I port, Ill get valves, while I get valves, now head flows, how about a cam??? Well then Ill need lash pads, well maybe now that I can rev some nice new rocker arms... :evil:

Guest bastaad525

I agree with the advice given in the Turbo beginners faq... basically to save the money you'd spend on port and polishing and spend it elsewhere, like I/C or a better I/C, better EFI/ignition control, better exhaust, or an upgraded turbo... you will get more bang for your buck. Porting is great for flow but you gotta remember that a turbo can force in more air than your engine can ever really make good use of. I think the one true benefit you would see would be only from exhaust porting, which would net you a quicker spooling turbo.