HybridZ

drove $60000 era cobra replica-like my z better

randy 77zt

what i didnt like-have to wear those skinny driving shoes-peddles to close together.boat anchor ford 427 fe engine-the build sheet was $10000 .it would be better in the tow truck.steering wheel set up for short legged driver-if you run the seat back then you have to lean forward for the steering wheel.kind of like the alfa spider i had.for 60k it had better scare the shit out of me -it didnt.but then again i have a 18' boat that runs 110 mph and a street bike that ran a 9.8 on a dyno drag at a harley dealer open house.speed is like a drug-you always need more.

Guest 240hybrid

Excuse my ignorance, but is the Cobra ERA the new shelby cobra?? Not trying to brag, but my grandfather has a original 67' A/C 427 (rated at 485 HP) Cobra...and I rode in that car when I was young and man that thing puts you in the seat like no other car I have ever ridden in. I think that's what gave me the car bug :D He only uses 2nd and 3rd at the 1/4 strip and put down a mid 11 with only 2 gears. If what you test drove is the new "cobra", I'm shocked that Shelby didn't deliver a very scary, overpowered, and well handling car. I don't like ford much, but must bow down to the :hail: original cobra.

Chase

Guest 240hybrid

SNAFU.....you're speakin of the cobra replicar?? I'm surprised that you weren't impressed with it. There is a guy that restores original cobras and produces replicars that is about 30 minutes away from me. I went there with my grandfather, had one replicar on a lift and a few ole' school flat head V8 hot rods in build.

Chase

car is a 427 cobra replica made by era.there are many cobra replica builders.this car is a very <period correct> replica.the kind of car that is in a hybrid z's crosshairs.i would have put a turbo/efi 383 windsor in it .i hate holley carbs.had to change to power valve in the carb and reset advance curve in the distributor.this car is in my crosshairs-need to do a little more work on my z.the z and the cobra weigh the same.

I tried to sit in a Cobra replica once, was not going to happen. Tranny tunnel is too wide for me, I cant sneak my foot into the gas pedal with my shoes on. The one we were working on was a 302/t5 combo carbed. It had 17k on it so its been around, from the passenger seat it was least as fast as my old v8z, except it was roofless :cry:

Overall didnt like it, nice kit but it just didnt feel real to me.

Run the Haltec already Randy, 20psi and you wont look back. :evil:

Guest bastaad525

Factory Five Racing makes and AWESOME Cobra replica kit... all you need is their kit (around $11,000), an early 90's Mustang 5.0 donor car (like $3000 for a beater?), whatever go fast add ons you want (none required), and a paint job and some final touches on the body and you're done! Average finished cost is around $20,000 for an AWESOME car that will run 12's, sticks like glue and brakes well enough to cause you to need seat belts for your eyeballs. When I get a house and build up some equity I WILL build one of these kits :) And may finally have a car that could replace my Z in my heart...

Anyone interested in doing one of these should contact FFR they will send you a full color 'catalog' though it's much more informative than any catalog I've ever seen, and a DVD or video, all for free. They've even send you a free packet that has all the magazine articles ever written about their sweet little kit (and there are LOTS... man the car media LOVES this kit!). For the money I've spent on my Z I could have one of these already (thought I'd be driving it around primered :-P). Faster... better handling... shorter braking... *resenting his Z right about now*

Guest HBskinheadZ

I helped my friend unload and source parts for a factory five replica, it took him a year to build and 28k.It is fast and reliable, BUT he has had the car running for about year and is ready to sell it and move on. He says it is fun to drive but not that comfortable and he would never do an overnighttrip for fear of rain or theft. He might even trade for a nIIICe V8z, so if $ is not an issue keep the z during the build up!