HybridZ

Calling Dan Juday!!

EvilRufusKay

Dan,

I saw your car in another post and since I know from expierience that you do not like to "hijack someone's thread" :D I thought I would say it here.

YOUR CAR ROCKS!!!! :rockon:

It is beautiful man!! I was wondering... what taillights did you settle on? They look very familiar!! Are you planning on having it at the MSA show? If so it would erase all questions I might have about if I will go or not. I know Tim will have his car there, and that alone might be enough to get me out there but... if BOTH of these awesome rides are going to be there, then I will be too!! :twisted:

Rufus

I was wondering... what taillights did you settle on? They look very familiar!!

They are the Z32 tail lights. I asked him about them in an earlier thread, and he said it took quite a few hours to blend them into the body.

Thanks Rufus for your kind words.

You had better order your plane ticket now because I'll be there. :2thumbs:

Like Aaron said, they are Z32 taillights and they are certainly no bolt in mod. After many hours of cutting away the rear panel and fitting and positioning I finally came to the conclusion that the whole rear end had to be reformed for them to fit properly.

I bought the lights off ebay and then scrounged the Pull-a-Parts for two unmolested chunks of 300ZX rear quarters. I wanted the metal under the lights so I could weld it to the S30 tail and then the lights would just bolt in. Note: All 300ZX's in the yards have at least one rear corner smashed. They came from two different cars and here is another strange Z fact. You know how Nissan used thicker metal in the 280 than the 240 for the same body part? Well they did the same thing with the Z32. I don't know what years the cars were that I hacked up to get the parts but they are a different gauge sheetmetal. Go figure, those guys can't make up there minds. :roll:

Anyway, after I finally got the lights just where I wanted them I tacked them in place and then took it to the body shop (well there was a brief nine month detour we will all forget now). I showed the artist exactly where I wanted everything and how I wanted it shaped and he did the work in steel. Everything you see from the hatch down and from fender to fender is custom fabbed in steel. I visited the shop often to ensure things were comming out as I planned. They did all the fiberglass bonding and seaming as well and then smeared it in several coats of Viper Blue and clear.

When this weather lets up I'm going to take some more pics of the rear end and post them here with before, during, and finished shots.

Keep an eye open. And if you cant wait 'till MSA come to the prequel in Rio Vista on the 3rd!

Thanks Dan!! I look forward to seeing her in person and getting to meet some of you guys. Did you choose your bodyshop from expieience or were they recomended? That is a huge advantage with the west it seems. Lots of good body places to choose from. It is difficult to find a body shop around here that has anything like what you refer to as an "artist"!!

Have a good one!!

Rufus