HybridZ

Rings? Wrong size?

240hoke

Hey guys,

I got a set of Hastings rings from Topend Performance for my enigne. I was getting ready to put everything back together and checked the ring gaps. They seem to be very excessive, all with a gap of .020-.021". According to the little equation .004"Xdiameter the l28 should have a gap of .014". I have also checked the bore and it came out dead on (3.386", I believe)

I searched on the 6 cylinder tech board and found one other guy that had this exact problem with beck-arnley(sp?) rings. There was only one reply to the post so i thought i would try here.

what do you guys think, do I need a new set? or is .020" tolerable?

Thanks

Aight guys, i slid a couple of my old rings in there (6K miles) and they also have ~.020" clearences. I searched around on zcar.com and found that some others had had this same issue with pre-fit rings. Also got a mix of replies, some suggested not to use them while others said they were fine.

I know that my car ran fine before and that It wasnt using any oil. I had minor blowby but nothing excessive. Also one question to add in here, what are you guys reading for your compression on a stock l28et? im gettting 155psi.

What would you guys do?

-Austin

I dont have a factory manual, but I have the "how to rebuild your datsun/nissan engine" book. It specifies a gap of ~.014", and that between .012"-.017" is tolerable.

Just curious if anybody else has used these pregaps rings with .020" tolerances and what there expiriences have been, I mean like i mentioned earlier the old rings were gapped this way so i think that i will be fine. I m thinking about going ahead and putting in the pistons.

-Austin

Guest szlash280z

I got some rings from VB they were the beck arnley type, they had excessive ring gap, so I got another set that cost more and they also had excessive ring gap. I can't remember exactly what the gap was, but it was over .40mm, max spec is like .33mm. I ran them anyway and haven't had any problems that I can attribute to piston rings. I will check my compression tomorrow. Hopefully it's good! :shock:

I think .33mm is .0130in

Guest szlash280z

ok I have done two compression checks on my engine. one when it was still cold (forgot I had to warm it up first) and the compression was around 130-135 on all cylinders.

then today I did a hot test, after finding out that my engine has been detonating under full boost and was smoking a little bit. compression was around 110-120 on all cylinders. And the compression went up slightly when I dumped some lightweight oil in there (not engine oil though)

Now, I think the compression was higher before but I didn't do a hot test. Maybe I damaged my rings? possible. It doesn't make any extra sound on stock boost after I took out the controller.

I re-used the stock pistons and just honed the cylinder walls when I rebuilt the motor. The car still runs great, I have to check on the smoking again in the daytime, but I guess I am probably not producing the power I should be because of the lower compression. Maybe running those excessive gap rings is not a good idea after all.

I was probably that guy with the Beck Arnley rings, I remember posting about it. I used them anyway with whatever gap it was I said I had, and it doesn't seem to be a problem. I haven't ever checked my compression though. The engine doesn't seem to be hurting for power or burning (much) oil.

Guest szlash280z

mine still has lots of power, but I guess it's possible that it's not as much as it should be making. I am not overly concerned with the lower compression yet, it only started to smoke yesturday and it was just a little bit. but I think I might have damaged it with the detonation that I miss diagnosed so many times.