HybridZ

Oil pan gasket questions

Guest bastaad525

Guest bastaad525

Noticed my motor was losing oil pretty bad about two weeks ago... got under the car to check it out and found that both main seals and the oil pan gasket were all leaking. Took it to my friend to have it all replaced, get the car back, and now it's leaking worse than before :evil: the seals are fine, no oil near the front or coming out from where the tranny mates to the block, but now the oil pan gasket is leaking really badly from one side. My friend is saying the pan may be warped. I say, that last time it wasn't leaking from the side, rather it was leaking from the front, and that was because I had overtorqued it like a newb and it had been squeezed out from between the bock and pan. But the side was dry. So either he didn't install it right, or he damaged the pan or warped it somehow while doing the work. Again the car is undrivable, as it leaks oil all over the crossmember, and from there it gets blown onto the downpipe and causes a really bad stink in the car. I dont know how much it would cost to have a real shop remove the pan and inspect it, possibly replace it, and install a new gasket, but I'm sure it wont be cheap. I'm looking at possibly doing this myself... havent figured out just where I could do it yet, but I wanted to know some details.

First, what is the BEST oil pan gasket, in you guys' oppinions? Second, what are my options for getting the pan off? I don't have an engine hoist so I can't lift it out to get at it... is there any other way to get to it?

Overtorquing is a common problem with those gaskets. Some, felpro I believe makes a fiber one, others are cork.

The best thing I have found to do with a cork one is to coat both sides with some type of rtv, I like ultra copper personally, and let it sit for about 20 minutes and skin up, and then install. I use low tension locktight on all the pan bolts, and use an electric drill set on a pretty low setting to install the bolts, since that is much faster.

No matter what kind of gasket I use, there is always rtv on it. Use the gray or copper. Good luck.