HybridZ

Trouble with the Differential

Guest dvlax28

Guest dvlax28

After Inspecting the rear suspension of my newly purchased 73' 240 found some oil leaks on the diff. itself, a further investigation showed that the bolts holding the rear cover were less than HAND TIGHT! leak solved. however I have some concerns about how much oil has leaked out. have located the drain plug and the breather but I don't know if there is a fill plug that I can't find, Is the breather also the fill spout? the haynes isn't clear at all about it so any help would be appreciated greatly. the haynes also states that there is supposed to be 1 liter of oil in the diff. anyone care to confirm? Is it supposed to be hypoid? thanks for your help and understanding of my ignorance in advance. -Jason

There is no 'drain plug'. To drain the diff, you need to loosen the rear cover and let the oil run out. What you are calling the drain plug, is actually the fill plug. It should be about 1/3 of the way up the rear cover. Fill it until the oil is at the level of the fill plug.

Tim

Depends on the diff actually... I've seen a lot of nissan diffs with a fill and a drain plug in the rear cover. I believe the R200's all have both... can't recall whether the R180's have both or not.

Regardless follow Tim's instructions for filling.

Depends on the diff actually... I've seen a lot of nissan diffs with a fill and a drain plug in the rear cover. I believe the R200's all have both... can't recall whether the R180's have both or not...

Yes. My R200 has both and the R180 we had from the Skyline has numerous plugs and thingies. It pays to look! I think I'd like to have both for my rear diffs in general. The drain plug I expect to leak and it doesn't do that at all, even with Redline in the housing.

Davy