HybridZ

California prices on 240s- what's the going rate?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Still shopping for my smog-exempt 240 to serve as the receptacle for a 305 or 350, and am finding that prices seem a bit steep here in the SF Bay Area. I'm hoping to get a mostly complete car with a valid pink slip, and I don't care if it's covered with Bondo and has a dead engine and trashed interior, and I want to pay $500 or less. I want it to be ugly and slow-looking, in fact- I plan to have a 3/4" single tailpipe sticking out and a "What the hell- it's paid for" sticer as stealth sleeper camoflage.

Am I sniffing too much exhaust here, or is that price actually realistic? I can get any number of non-smog-exempt 70s 280s for that price or less, but the 240 freaks seem to think their cars are worth as much as '69 Camaros.

I bought my 72 240z for $500 in 2000. It has very little rust, a 5-speed, complete interior, curr. tags, and it ran good. It had a fuel leak ( oh yeah, it also came with dual webbers) I've been driving it pretty much everyday since I bought it with very little demand from the car.

I'm confident this car is solid and ready for some real mods.

My opinion is to try autotrader.com and do a search under collector cars in your area. I'm sure you could find a good project car and maybe even one that is in pretty descent shape for that price range. Good Luck

Guest Anonymous

i have an ugly 73 240z for sale for $800...few hundred over your 500 but it runs and drives.but if you want to modify to a V8 a few hundred shouldnt matter.....i know my projects never stay on budget...lol

later

Jesse

I bought mine in overall great shape (dirty through and through) but with a complete interior, original matching motor and transmission, and so on. It was owned by the family its whole life and was restored in 1985 by the brother of the woman I bought it from. I bought it for $1900 and would do it again if I had the chance. A friend bought his for $900 with a 5speed, a roll bar, and some other mods. Overall he got the better deal but a much crappier car as far as interior and body goes. The point is, they're out there for varying prices, just look. My Z was actually the first 240Z I ever looked at and I bought it. I think it's just chance that I snapped it up before anyone else did.