HybridZ

z trans mount for t5

Guest mikegesselle

Guest mikegesselle

hey i was just wondering what are some of the things everyone has done to mount a t5 transmission in a z car is there any advice on any mounts or custom mounts that are easily fitted......... i am just putting a 302 and a t5 out of a 1987 mustang in it so...... is there any weird angles or anything like that that i would have problems with..........................i just bought the motor mount crossmember from alsil so thats so far taken care of............just asking for some honest input.........

thanks

mike gesselle :P

Guest dpiatkin

Hey Mike !

Welcome to the forum ! and you have come to the right place !! just use the search feature and search the ford V8 forum for what you need.

I believe most folks are using the JTR transmission crossmember and drilling 2 extra holes I think..... Anyways do a search and most will be answered for you.

Welcome to Hybrid Mike. :-D

Mine is Chevy powered but I would think you could use the JTR trans mount without any problem. Do you have the JTR book? I know it's written for a Chevy install but if you've never done a swap like this in a Z it has a lot of helpfull info for any V8 swap. Just ignor the jibes at Ford power.

There are some here that consider the JTR mount inelegant but I can appreciate the simplicity of it. If you buy the book it has plans for fabbing it yourself. You can make it with a good bench vice, a torch, and a heavy hammer. Or you buy it from the JTR web site for $55.

So, you going EFI?

Guest mikegesselle

no im just going carb for now and then im building a new motor once i get the car movin >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>ha ha

oh by the way would you have a link for that jtr site

thanks

Mike,

Here's the Jags That Run (JTR) website. http://www.jagsthatrun.com/

I decided to build a mount similar to what Datsun used to mount the stock transmission. If you are familiar with the mounting system used in the 72 and later cars mine is similar except it is bolted to the transmission tunnel rather than welded. Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures of the install let me see if I have a drawing somewhere.

If you are looking for the easiest mounting solution the JTR mount is the way to go. My only reservation was the idea of bolting the 3rd motor mount (transmission mount) to the floorboards of a Datsun, which we all know have a tendancy to rust.

Dan-I will have my Ford EFI powerd Z at the Rio Vista show this year.

Josh

If you are looking for the easiest mounting solution the JTR mount is the way to go. My only reservation was the idea of bolting the 3rd motor mount (transmission mount) to the floorboards of a Datsun' date=' which we all know have a tendancy to rust.

Josh[/quote']

Good point Josh, I didn't think about the rust issue. On the other hand anyone doing a V8 swap into a unibody Z needs to address all rust as a structural matter.

Dan-I will have my Ford EFI powerd Z at the Rio Vista show this year.

Josh

Right on! We're going to have quite a variety of Hybrids this year. The only thing missing will be a GN powered Z.

Oooh, just reread Mike's post...

Mike, if you mount the tranny to the tunnel or the floor it'll be just fine. The JTR mount has been used for years on very HIGH HP motors with no problems. (I think Don M's 11.1xx Z uses that mount.)

If you have problems with the tranny mount twisting/breaking/etc you have bigger problems than the mounting point.

Just my .02

cheers