HybridZ

280ZX project update

zxgts-4

dpiatkin in susp forum wanted to know where I was at so here goes.

The project started in my head way back in the early 80s when I saw a GTO Datsun kit in a magazine and said I got to have one.

After a number of companies here tried them the Ferrari boys always shut them down.

2 years ago I saw an add for the fibreglass only and on investigation I found the guy had the convertible kit as well so I bought it.

To make a long story shorter I decided to modify it and put onto a 280ZX instead of 240- 260.

So far Ive experemented and cut up one 280ZXshell, bought all my exterior lighting, modified Z31 front seats, bought an 83 car for rear susp

and rack and pinion steering and use as test bed for further ideas.

Ibought an S13 rear suspension to get aViscous Lsd centre and if I hadn't already bought all new rear bushes for the other I probably would have fitted the the whole thing.

Ive updated my personal gallery to show the 83 car with the nose sitting on and the 275NART Spyder that is the look I am aiming for.

I am modifying a ford (Murcury) soft top which will work in the wider fiberglass body but probably not in an original body.

I am still driving the rust free 81 car that I bought and I hope to fit the Lexus 4.0 Lt and auto early in the year ten go on with the body work later in the year.

A recent aquisition was a Nardi Anni 60 steering wheel which slowed the budget down a bit. Also got a factory 280ZX book with the original designs

and its devevelopment.

Once I have sorted all the body shapes I will use it as a buck and remould it so that I have a clean solid fiberglass shell again.

I am tossing ideas around for the fuel tank as I want run dual exhausts out the back, any feedback from others would be great.

Thats about it for this sitting Neil

Guest dpiatkin

thanks bud for posting !!! I really appreciate it. Do you have any photos of your work so far ?? and thanks again for remembering to post !!!!! keep me updated with any pics and details you care to include...!??!

I do have other photos in print format but my scanners gone on the blink

I will have to get a digital to make life easier.

As I said I haven't cut the top off yet which is what you appeared most interested in. What I can tell you is that you can get square tubing inside the windscreen pillar and tie it into the lower "A" pillar for added support.

If you have an early hard top car it has a lighter header panel than a "T" top car and would make a better header for convertible.

Further to what I am doing to the Fiberglass body I have filled in the rear brake duct holes , will probably change the front ones to a scallop in the side and after reading that 280ZX book I will probably move from the GTO looking holes from the upper edge of the nose to the bottom .

Anyway thats it for now Neil

There is still someone in Sydney selling them officially, but because we dont have anti monopoly laws like the US the slightest implication that it is similar to a Ferrari in the advertising etc ,the Ferrari clubs jump on it.

Yes I have been into Reaction Research's site often, pity I dont live State side parts and kits are a lot easier to come by. Neil.