HybridZ

Fire safety

Guest bluex_v1

Guest bluex_v1

With limited funds, what would be a better investment, a bladder type fuel cell (Fuel Safe)

or

an HDPE foam filled fuel cell (plastic street/strip type that summit sells) and a nozzled fire suppression system?

I know this is super subjective, but I haven't really seen much discussion on fire saftey beyond a good thread about extinguishers:

http://www.hybridz.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=21612&highlight=fuel+fire

My reason for concern is that I want to place a fuel cell more centered for dual exhaust at opposite corners and I need efi plumbing too. I'm also planning on removing the stock rear bumper. The car will be mostly street driven, occasionally in heavy traffic. I'll likely build something to sit right behind the rear valence and attach to the stock bumper mounts. It would probably be 2 or 3 2x2" pieces of vertically stacked square aluminum tubing. (I think someone here may have already done this more or less) The fuel tank or cell would of course sit behind this hidden bumper. I would imagine this would be about as effective in protecting the tank as the stock bumper. Perhaps I could take it a little further and wrap the aluminum in kevlar so when the aluminum splits under higher impacts, the kevlar could at least contain any jagged edges that might pierce the tank or cell. I'd be cutting out and covering the spare tire well with sheet metal and probably make a metal housing to cover up a fill hose going to the license plate. The cage will end at the rear strut towers so the rear will be a crush zone of sorts.

Are there any cases that anyone knows of where a Z with modified fuel or bumper systems has been rearended? I'm interested in what the conditions and the results were.

In a rear impact, is the difference in ductility between the rear deck floor sheet metal and the weld material around the spare tire patch going to be a weak spot that might split to expose the cabin to a possibly punctured fuel cell?

I suppose it would be a good idea to keep as much wiring above the rear deck and seperated from the tank area as possible?

Obviously a good window glass hammer/seat belt cutter would be a good idea to have also.

Can anyone suggest any links or info on auto fire safety in general? I don't really know what I don't know at this point.

I would suggest a "Well Cell" from ATL, their 8 and 12 gallon wheel well cell fits nicely into the rear spare tire well and would provide you the safety that you are looking for.

Advantages of the "Well Cell":

1) no excessive modification to the chassis of your car.

2) It is FIA SCCA etc. rated

3) reasonable cost

4) FI compatable

Disadvantages:

1) the Spare tire well is not the best place to install a fuel cell for weight balance in a race car application

2) you should make some type of cover or bulkhead for safety and SCCA regulations.

3) You will need to fabricate mounting brackets to hold the cell in place.

I suggest contacting ATL directly and ordering your cell, they made me a great deal on the "well cell" I put in my Z.

932wheelwellfuel_cell1.jpg

Guest bluex_v1

Thanks for the pic of the well cell, I had been wondering how they would fit in a Z. The capacity and the weight placement steers me away from it though. For something of that price, I'd want it to be ideal from a weight distribution performance perspective. The fabrication still required to keep it from becoming a projectile and keep it legal doesn't seem that far removed from just doing the standard below deck square cell install either.

I will definately contact ATL regardless to get their input and post up anything of note they may say.

Agreed, in my case I am doing a restoration/copy of a famous race car that ran a well cell back in the 70's. So, to be period specific, I am running this type of cell.

The guys at ATL are a great resource and are very helpful. I think that you will be pleasantly surprised.

Your choice of fuel cell depends on what you're planning to do with the car. If you're running with any road racing sanctioning body (SCCA, NASA, TCRA, etc.) then you'll need to get an approved cell. Buy something from ATL or Fuel Safe. Both are equally safe but I prefer ATL based on a couple things I've seen in Fuel Safe cells (letfover foam bits that clog fuel filters, dents in the can).

If you're drag racing, then you can get by with something cheaper from Summit or Jegs. Just be sure to mount it correctly in a can. Don't just strap the plastic case to the car.

For a street car I would go with ATL or Fuel Safe.

A fire extinguishing system is a last resort. You want to do all you can to prevent fires in the first place.

Are there any cases that anyone knows of where a Z with modified fuel or bumper systems has been rearended? I'm interested in what the conditions and the results were.

Probably happens a couple times a year in SCCA ITS racing. In 6 years of watching and sometimes participating in SCCA racing I've yet to see a car fire. It does happen, but its pretty rare considering there are wrecks at every race track probably every race weekend.

Katman (Keith) would know better then I.