HybridZ

Which is cheaper?

Guest tennesseez

Guest tennesseez

Hey guys I am new to this board but I have read through the forum and even conducted a search but I have not been able to answer my question. I need to know which is cheaper: a 302 swap from the ford or 350 swap from the chevy? I was also wondering if there is a book for the 302 swap like the one for the chevy v8? I need some guidelines because I have never tried anything like this before. I will be working with my uncle and possibly a certified mechanic that is a friend of the family. Any response will be greatly appreciated!

Tennesseez,

There isn't a book specifically written for the Ford 302 swap but get the JTR manual anyway. It contains lots of good info that's engine agnostic.

As for the price difference, that depends on how much of the work you're going to do on your own and how much you're going to spend on your engine tranny combo. I was going to put a 302 into my Z until I ran across a 95 Caprice cop car with an LT1 for a good price but a late model 302 with a T5 from a Mustang can be had for a very reasonable price these days. In fact it's easier to find a Ford T5 than a GM T5. There are also a lot more speed parts for the 302 now than in the past. If you're going to use an automatic then the availability is about the same for GM or Ford.

If you're set on a 302 then search this board for a guy named Al Silvera (alsil). He makes a very nice mount that is a full cross member. The price is about $125.00 including shipping if I remember correctly. You have to work something out with the steering shaft but a u-joint will solve that problem. Over all I think the 302 is a very good match to the Z due to it's power potential and weight, if I build another Z I'll drop a 302 into it.

Good luck and keep us informed of your progress.

Ken W.