HybridZ

Fuel Pump Relay?

Guest vegeta

Hey guys

I've got a '75 280z, and when I turn OFF the car, the fuel pump sounds like it is on full blast. When I turn the ignition to the "on" position, before starting the car, everything is back to normal and I can only hear the usual low-level sound of the fuel pump. All I can do for now is disconnect the battery when I park to shut off the pump. Any help?

• 2 weeks later...

You fuel pump relay wont be energized until after the key ignition switch is turned.

It sounds like your fuel pump is working...this means your fuel pump relay is likewise working. The problem as I see it, until further diagnostics proves otherwise, is that your fuel pump relay is powering up the pump at the wrong time.

This would suggest to me that your ignition switch is bad. The igniqion switch is an electrical part that turns your mechanical turning of the key into electrical instrucions to your car's wiring system.

This ignition switch is screwed into the key switch and located just behind the key switch. You will have to obtain a manual and look up ignition switch for instructions on how to remove said part.

Check Auto Zone, O'Reilly's, and Nissan Parts Dept for prices on the ignition switch.

.., of course-you should always confirm a part is defective prior to replacing it.

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)