HybridZ

My 260 is an auto EW! Need 5 speed swap info

Phyte

Sorry guys, I'd search if I could. Whats envolved in swapping in a 5speed? I know the pedals will swap out with my auto brake pedal, I just don't know if the cross members or drive shaft will need work. Is it a bolt in swap with pedals, master/slave hydrolics, and T-5? Since I'm eventually going with an L28et, is the later 280z 5 speed choice, or should I just start with a 5 speed from an 82-83 zx? Thanks

Phyte

I did the auto to 5 speed in my 78. There was a spot in my pedal box for the clutch pedal so I went to a salvage yard and got the full brake & clutch pedals, springs & clips. You will need the master/slave & tubing to plumb the clutch. Also, flywheel & clutch. The same mounts fit and even the driveshaft can be used. Your rear end ratio will determine which trans you should go with. I started out with a 78 5 speed but the syncro's were worn..lack of fluid changes! Went to a 81 NA 5 speed and the car was a slug with the 3.54 gear. Installed the 3.90 and the car was very nice to drive.