HybridZ

upgrade 280z's R200 to 280zx's R200

Guest sr280det

Guest sr280det

I just bought a 1975 280z and would like to upgrade my differential. I have been searching on the internet and the only upgrade I found is to get a 280zx's R200.

This is what I found from http://www.kaynor.net/v8-240z/240z.htm:

"Swapping a R200 rear end from a 280Zx into a 240/260/280 is very popular now due to it's relative ease, and the impressive increase in performance. Even if you have a '75-78 280Z with an R200, you can upgrade it to a 3.90 from a ZX and add some serious acceleration.

All you're doing is replacing rear end (and differential) parts with 280Z /ZXversions, that's all. But if you decide to get the R-200 and the halfshafts from a 280ZX, those are the only parts that cross into a 240/260/280Z. The ZX driveshaft and mounting hardware won't."

Have any one done this before or have any info about it? Please let me know.

Is this a perfect fit on or do I have to do any moldification?

What do I need to do this swap?

I also would like to have LSD. Any one have any ideal.

Thank you,

The R200 is basically the same in all model cars it was installed in. There are minor differences in halfshaft or CV joint attachment, but an R200 is an R200. Keep the R200 in your 280Z.

You can add an LSD and swap the ring and pinions if you want different gearing. Do lots of searchs (if the search function is working).

The only LSD is '87-'89 300ZXT, which everyone is hunting.

Not true. Quaife and Nissan Comp also offer LSDs for the R200.