HybridZ

How long does it take to.....Racer X?

80LS1T

Today I was talking to one of the body shop guys who has his own shop at home to do restoration(mostly that kind of work) anyways I asked him about attaching my body kit. I told him I wanted it molded in to the body and that it was fiberglass(MSA Aero Kit 2). He said that he would mold it in but that he would not "seem" it because its fiberglass. He said that it would for surly crack sooner than later and that he has a better way of doing it so that it still is "molded" in but in wont crack. He said he would "seem" the pieces on then cut the seem an fill it in will a "seem filler" so that the fiberglass could flex a little bit so that it wouldnt crack nearly as easy. It seems like a good idea to me and once its filled in and painted you wont be able to see it!

Ok so how many hours does it take to install a body kit on a Z/ZX? I have the front, rear, and side skirts. My ZX is straight rust free and still in the original paint. I just want to know a ball park figure to do a really good job.......say 10-15 hours?

Racer X you out there?

Thanks,

Guy

Well what he ment by "seaming" was that you would be able to see the line between the body kit and the original body panel. Not like a gap but just a slight "seam" where you could tell it was a body kit. He said molding would be were you wouldnt be able to tell that it was a body kit and it would look factory.

I told him I wanted it molded but he said the fiberglass would crack a lot easier if he molded it in like a ureathan(sp?) body kit. Since the ureathan is much more flexable you can just mold it to the body and it will flex with the car but with fiberglass it doesnt flex as easy. So he's going to mold it in but where the two edges meet hes going to use a seam filler to make it easier for the body kit to flex. Does that make sense?

Guy

Yup thats exactly what I've been trying to put into words! I will provide pictures but he wont be doing it for a few months. I refuse to drive my car in snow/salty/wet roads. Besides I have other projects that need to be completed before the body work. But he will be doing it come April! :D

God I cant wait till its painted! :D:D

Guy