HybridZ

Guest zcarjunky

Guest zcarjunky

Hey guys, I am new to this forum, but I hope you guys can help me out. Since the search function isn't working I have to ask a question that I know has been asked a thousand times.

I have a 78 280Z with an L28. I want to switch over to a SBC but I need to know exactly what engine, tranny, and driveline is the easiest and cheapest to buy, install, beef up, and maintain. I figured since I have a 5-speed tranny, that I would stick with a manual because it will perform better than a stock auto tranny. If I could put a sequential shifter in a 5-speed auto, I would much prefer that.

I also wonder what considerations need to be made for not just the initial installation, but also for future building up of the 350. I have near 350 hp right now, I would like to get at least that out of the 350.

Any help would be much appreciated. Oh, and many of the books that are suposedly out there about this conversion are impossible to get because they are not in printing anymore.

Thanks

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

The search function is offline, but you can still browse the forum. There is a wealth of info here.

The Gen 1 SBC swap is probably the easiest (see jagsthatrun.com)

Books are still available in print. You can buy the JTR manual online.

350HP+ is a piece of cake with a 350CI or larger.

You have 350HP out of an L28? :shock:

You sure you arent talking about an L28ET?

350hp out of a L28 non ET..?????

why get rid of that? i rather have a 350hp L28 over a 350 SBC anyday.

would have that sleeper effect...

but like Nic said, those posts are all over the place, dont need to even do a search..

mike

Guest zcarjunky

The reason I want to switch to a SBC is because the amount of mods done to my L28 to get 350+ rwhp have severely shortened the life and reliability of my engine. I run it on methanol at the track, and 10% race fuel on the street. It would be one hell of a sleeper except for the fact that it has a very unique sound that seems to carry for miles even at low rpm's. I love my 6'er, but it just isn't a big enough engine to keep that amount of power on tap for a lot of miles.

If you have the caveat "normally aspirated" as part of your statement, I will have to agree that that would be one peaky engine on the street, and you probably have to use the ~4:11 rear gear - rigt.

Plenty of turbo motors out the w/350+ in them reliable as hell, once you get rid of the stock FI computer...

Guest zcarjunky

I guess I just think that turbo is cheating. I know they will produce a lot of reliable hp and newer turbos have very little lag, but there is just something about strapping a turbocharger on a beautiful NA high compression engine like mine that makes me rather use my car as a planter than an auto. Sure you could turbocharge a weedwacker if you wanted to, by why would you? Just because it can be done, doesn't mean it should be done.

I like to think of my Z as the most underrated muscle car ever built. muscle cars should have big displacement high torque engines. If somebody put a turbocharged 4 banger in a camero, everybody would have a fit!!