HybridZ

Chevy 377 Turbo questions for a dummy

Hitman47

I have a chevy 377 with a edelbrock intake and speed demon carb thats going into my 72 240z. I am completely dumb when it comes to turbos but have always wanted to throw one on my car because of the advantage at the upper rpms. The reasons it sounds better to me is the turbo lag, i wont need any more lower end or il roast the tires and go no where. My questions are: what turbo can fit my application? How does it fit to the carb? I understand how modern injected cars work but have no idea how a old carb turbo works? Do they sell turbo kits for carbed up chevys? I think i want one big turbo so i get hi end power. I basically want someone to point me in the right direction about how to turbo charge my setup, i can fabricate parts, but would like some sort of kit or part list i need.

Thanx guys

Chad

My questions are: what turbo can fit my application? How does it fit to the carb? I understand how modern injected cars work but have no idea how a old carb turbo works? Do they sell turbo kits for carbed up chevys?

What do you intend to do with a turboed V8? Street or Strip or both?

I can tell you what I did to build a Twin Turbo carbed 383-blow through for my 72 Z. However, you need to learn about turbo systems and carbs in order to make it work. Corky Bell's book on Turbocharging is a start.

If you can afford it go FI, it's much easier to tune. I have turbo lag with my system because the turbos are too large but they were free from a friend. Drag racing my Z, therefore, is a balancing act. Coming off the line at too low engine rpm results in a bog and at too high rpm causes the car to launch sideways. Bottom line is, dont plan on solving anticipated traction problems with turbo lag. You wont like the driveability problems.

You will need a custom turbo kit to fit into your Z (very expensive ). Read the book and you will be able to make your own system since you have fabrication skills. There are a number of companies like "Turbonetics" that can tell you what size turbo to buy for your desired application.

You can see my turbo installation in the Turbo/Supercharger forum under Twin Turbo 383 Chevy. Good Luck.

Hanns