HybridZ

U-Joint removal

pshepard327ci

hey guys, quick question. Last night i was attempting to replace a bad ujoint on passenger side halfshaft, the one thats right next to wheel. we took the whole half shaft off and had zero lucky finding a way to get ujoint out, do i need to take it to a shop to get it pressed out or is there something i do not know. i think they are original u-joints, the replacement one i purchased from orielly auto. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks

peter

Well I will try to put this into words....

What you need to do is take any clips out that might be over the caps of the U-joints. Then you set the u-joint over a channel. Then pound on the part where the ujoint goes in, not the shaft and not directly over the hole where the cap is. You will probably have a really hard time getting those caps loose if those are indeed the original u-joints. Once you get one cap loose turn it over and repeat. It is much easier if you have u-joint press when the u-joints are really old and rusted in.

Here's a pic I drew to kind of help......

album_pic.php?pic_id=2970

Hope this helps a little bit? :D

Guy