HybridZ

OEM (chevy) clutch recomendations

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

hey everyone,

I'm the nut that installed the 3 spd manual in my car. I used a truck flywheel and truck (used)clutch and pressure plate. the clutch is shuddering and its too heavy on the foot.

I was wondering if anyone could put me onto a good altenative clutch and pressure plate with a shorter pickup and lighter pedal effort. Again economics is an issue here would like to use a GM part. I know that Centerforce has some nice ones, but they are double the cost. If not higher.

as a side note the tranny works well other than the clutch, the car is a blast to drive around town. it shrieks to 100 mph Although I'm going to have to get some taller tires. with the 3.5 r200 and 225 60' 14's its out of breath around 101 mph lol (120 indicated)

thanks

John

Guest Anonymous

I'm not sure if they're the same transmission although they probably are, but perhaps a unit out of a early Nova might do the trick. The three on the tree I had in my 63 I dont recall it being really difficult to press the clutch. Just a thought.

Lone

Guest Frank280z

Sachs a division of Zoom products makes a brute force clutch that runs just a couple bucks over the stock replacement. Centerforce also makes a gold series. Gives a 30% increase over stock. Without the price of the dual friction assembly. Frank

------------------

Build it. Drive it. Improve it.

Just to let you guys know if you didn't already - Centerforce ($$$$$$) is not the only maker of dual friction clutch discs. You can get just the disc (unlike the robbers at Centerforce) from McLeod.

Centerforce DF in some applications is just an OE clutch hat with a dual friction plate, that you pay SUPER BIG bucks for. I found that out when I bought a CFDF for my AWD Eclipse.

Hrm! Pete, I don't suppose you've researched which of their clutches would live happily with a T56 have you? I've got the stock assembly from the wrecking yard intending to use it but since I now must use a new flywheel I'm wondering if a new disc might be smart while I'm at it. I just don't want to get robbed by Centerforce is all - they're nailing me on the flywheel as it is :-)

As light as the Z car is I would think the clutch wouldn't have to be super strong..

Guest Locutus

you want to get a strong clutch and flywheel, you don't want this thing coming apart, the firewall and floorpans on a Z would be like paper to a flywheel that lets loose

Mike

Guest Locutus

you want to get a strong clutch and flywheel, you don't want this thing coming apart, the firewall and floorpans on a Z would be like paper to a flywheel that lets loose

Mike