HybridZ

LT 1 Supercharging

jack46

Hello I'm a relative newbie here. I have a 76 260 Z with a 383 Chevy and a th350. With a 3.45 rearend I ran 8.0 in 1/8 last year, and just bought a Vortech supercharger for an LT1.

I want to run 10 lbs of boost I have an LT 1 and want to put in a matched cam and pistons to allow the car to operate correctly when completed. The computer is from a 93 so I will need to get a custom chip (have heard fastchips is the place to go) and wondered if anyone here has a similiar setup?

I'm hoping/expecting the setup to bring about 425 RWHP. Thanks ahead of time I tried searching but didn't have a lot of success

are you talking about Ed from Dyno lad in Alt, GA? IF you are, I'll let you know that he's good. You are going to need a chip anyway plus on top of that, you probably have to fine tune with some sort of translator.

What about something like Accel (isn't it same as DFI?) standalnoe/piggyback?

Ed Wright I believe is with Fastchips.

Why if I get a chip will I need a translator? Don't mean to sound stupid, but this car will be driven 90% of time at track. I feel with the charger, and 4.11 gears it won't be a daily driver, so why will I need a translator? What will the translator accomplish? Is what you are talking about similiar to a programmer (adjust parameters?). Remember this is a 93 non MAF.

you said:

What about something like Accel (isn't it same as DFI?)standalnoe/piggyback?

I have no idea what you meant with this? Are you asking if I will use a digital fuel injection system? I hope to modify the LT 1 to do the job since I have heard many others doing about the same with a modified stock system.

PS yo2001 Thanks for reply I was hoping to get more information. I have never run an LT 1 and new to that engine so what can be done is still a mystery to me. I have the engine because I got it for what I thought was a good deal. This week I hope to get the charger and start devoring the information so I can make reasonably intelligent choices based on inputs from people with the experience I lack

Guest HybridZ32

I'll throw my 2 cents in. I have an LT1 engine. The engine has very high compression 10.5 to 1 and I have read a lot that says running a lot of boost is not recommended on the stock engine. I think 10PSI might be a bit high...

Thanks. I have decided to put 8.5 CR in the car and try to run higher boost. The motor is apart so I think that is my best bet my machinists recoomended a set he uses in his blown chevy made for super/turbo charging with ring lans lower on piston. Hoping this willl correct alot of the problems. Also, I think I have decided to go with the LT4 Hotcam kit now like $500 for springs cam retainers and roller rockers. The cam when compared to others on a desktop dyno performs about equal with less lift and duration. I figure better to lessen stress on valve train for the 5hp loss

You're going about it right. Too many times, I think those turbo and supercharger kits out there for stock engines do a disservice. They put extreme stress on an engine without beefing up the foundation. Go with the lower compression pistons, forged if possible. You probably don't need a forged cranked with a supercharger, but if you're going to run higher boost with a turbo, you might consider it.

thanks. Yes pistons will be forged, wish I could drop CR alittle more but 8.5 seems about it since chamgers are only 58 cc

I wish I could afford a forged crank but unless i find one on a deal it will be the stock one

The kit I have has many combinations for boost so thinking I will try it first with 8 psi and see...of course we always want more once we have it and i think it would be safe to maybe 10

Guest JAMIE T

A forged crank is needed MORE on a supercharged engine than other power adders due to the forces placed on the crank to power the supecharger(i.e., belt driven off the crank). I have personally broken a crank in half on a high boost blower motor. 18psi Vortech YS trim on a 302 ford, which had forged pistons, rods, but cast crank(that had cog pulleys). At only 10psi though, you should have no problems. If you ever have to pull the engine down, pay attention to the crank bearings. You will see accelerated wear on the side the blower belt is pulling from.