HybridZ

Lexus/Crown 1UZFE Swap

Guest Z kWick

Guest Z kWick

Has anyone done this before or know of a previous thread that can give me an overview of the probs/advantages to this swap? Ive just seen a few good prices around and I was wondering what would be involved in swapping this into a first gen Z and if it would be worth it.

Ive searched but I couldnt find anything about it (is it working??)

Thanx for any info

(ooh first post, gotta love it :-D)

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

As with any swap, the problems/advantages are going to be in the eye of the swapper. It depends what you want, and what you want to do to get it.

Figure out what you want, and if that engine suits your performance goals/needs. Obviously there isnt going to be a kit for the swap, so you need to take that into consideration as well.

Welcome to the site. Yes, the search is down, but you can still browse the applicable forums for a wealth of information.

well you can only get them in automatic (although apparently rod millen makes a bellhousing to make the v160 6speed fit.) The 1uz is a strong smooth motor, it would be fast, but not raw and ridiculous like most old school v8s would be. You can mod them, they make plenty of power, and a pretty much stock 1uz with an open exhaust is THE best sounding motor i have ever heard.

Guest Z kWick

Yeh well thats the problem, Im not really sure exactly what I want. Im looking at the 260Z 2+2 and I was trying to the offset the overall increased weight of the body (in comparison to the 2 seater) with a strong but relatively small v8 that has some modification and performance potential. I've looked around a fair bit and seen alot of information about the chev swaps (ie chev forum) but I'm thinking of doing something different and I came across the 1UZFE. It seemed like a fair choice with the all alloy block, the relatively small dimensions, and a range of aftermarket kits. Yeh I think I'll continue to research some other options anyway. Thanx for the help

Guest Z kWick

Well the thing is that I'm in Australia, so I cant really go a 'raw' oldschool chev with locally stocked parts unless I wanna drop down to the 305, since the first 350 was a LS1 (someone correct me if I'm wrong). So I was looking around for other options (apart from the probable 305 swap) - does anyone have any ideas?? maybe a 2UZFE bottom with 1UZFE heads ..... dunno :?:

Zwick

I am planning the same swap into my 280ZX and these engines can be bought for AU$1500 for engine & computer or AU$2500-3000 for front half cut. Both Rod Hadfield and Castlemaine Rod Shop do 5 speed man conversions and if you want to do porformance upgrades of engine check out Bullitt engineering in Queensland who do superhargers etc. Check out engineering requirements for your State before outlaying any cash and ADR issues.Simon Ball is currently building a GTO replica with this engine.

last email address I had was mandyball@iprimus.com.au

Advantages are its light weight and performance and reasonably priced against US Chev or Ford V8s. You may even consider a GM 3.8L supercharged AU$4500-6500 ex Commodore.

Remember the expenses dont stop with the engine purchase. Neil

Guest Z kWick

Yeh no worries thanx zxgts, I think Im gonna stick with the 1UZFE, i just recently came across some pretty good info on it and its looking like the best way to go. Ive still got a while to go before Im gonna be ready to attempt it, but Ill definately keep those contacts in mind :-D. Thanx

Kurt