HybridZ

Hydraulic throwout bearing...

labrat

ok, I ordered the hydraulic throwout bearing here:

http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?target=search.asp&type=bykeyword&searchtype=both&part=hydraulic+throwout+bearing (the top one)

What I was wondering was if anyone knows what kind of hydraulic line and fittings I will need to plumb it to a tilton 13/16" master cylinder? I asked the customer service guy at summit, but he didn't know.

Oh, and does anyone happen to know the size and pitch of the bellhousing bolts for a T5 from an 84 camaro?

Any insights are appreciated!

Bill

Is a 13/16" MC the recommended size for this bearing? It sounds a little large to me is the reason I ask (I believe 3/4" and 7/8" are the ones I've seen, but the Howe may use a larger area piston). Anyway, I would say any 1/8" brake line would work for this, coming off the MC, routed the way you want, and terminating at a line outside the bellhousing. Unless you can tighten your "internal" connections to this bearing from outside the installed engine/tranny bellhousing once it's in the car, then you'll need a couple of lines to go from the bearing to outside the bellhousing for both the input, and the bleed screw (The McLeod hydraulic bearing has these on it already, but it's more expensive). And if you are using rubber engine and tranny mounts, then flexible lines would be required (SS braided). For example:

standard.jpg

Thanks terry, I appreciate the input!

The master cylinder was originally purchased to work with a camaro slave, but then I changed my plans and ordered the hydraulic T/O bearing thinking it would be easier all around than drilling and tapping the slave, buying a clutch fork, etc. Might have to return it for the smaller bore.

The problem is, the engine is both coming out and going back in on thursday and all this has to be assembled, so I'm trying to gather all the parts i'll need before then. I am looking for the lines and fittings I'll need to have by then. And, the parts won't even be here till wednesday...

Anyway, thanks, I appreciate it!

Bill

Okay, if the tilton 13/16 MC is going to be too big, would the stock datsun unit work properly without blowing out the T/O bearing or causing excessive pedal pressure? I don't know if I can swap out the MC by the time I need to get this running with shipping both ways to summit, but I can pick up a datsun MC fairly easily. Anyone know? Thanks

Bill

The first thing you need to do is see if you can get a tech line phone number for Howe and talk to someone there to find out what the recommended bore and stroke for the MC should be. The Howe hydraulic T/O bearing's piston may have more area than the McLeod one, and if that is so, you may be fine. If it is about the same size as the McLeod, then a 5/8" bore will be marginal at best (a 3/4" bore is over 40% larger in area than a 5/8" bore). Your 13/16" bore, with a lightly sprung PP may work better. Just watch the firewall for excessive flexing if it feels too heavy, and pay close attention to where the clutch engages and disengages. Being this bore is only about 17% larger than a 3/4" bore, I'd say start with it first, using caution not to over extend the bearing. Who knows, this may be the perfect size, but I've not seen any posts using the Howe unit. Let us know what you find out after testing it out.

Okay, just got off the phone and finished with a marathon drive around austin. It's the wrong master cylinder, and the wrong hydraulic throwout bearing. That throwout bearing is only for saginaw, muncie, and T10. The T-5 version is special order, and will take weeks to get.

So, the throwout bearing is going back, and I'm buying a camaro slave and using the 7/8" (not 13/16") master I have now. However, no one has the clutch fork in stock in town. UGH! This was supposed to be the easy part...

Thanks for the assistance, Blue!

Bill