HybridZ

clicking near fanbelt....waterpump?

Guest yTTyTee

Guest yTTyTee

I have a 76 280z and have this strange clicking sound near the fan belt that has recently started. Someone has told me that it is the waterpump, and that a bearing has gone bad in it or something. I'm wondering if this may be the problem. I've heard the water pumps on Zs are weak and tend to be the first thing to go bad.

Also one more question.

My gas pedal is really sticky at the start of the push, after this is it smooth. I detatched all the nylon balls on the throttle linkage and greased um up. I also tried to find out where it was catching, and have traced it all the way to the throttle body after the last nylon ball at the front end of the car. Everything else moves smoothly. Has anyone else had this problem and knows how to fix it. It tends to be worse in rainy and cold weather. I took the dashpot off, just to let you know, becuase it was causing a high idle and dosn't work correctly. It really sucks, like when I'm driving through the Fredmeyer parking lot in 1st gear and I try and push the gas a little, the pedal sticks then pops down and the car lurches. So I make an ass of myself in front of a bunch of shoppers looking like I don't know how to drive a manual. So it would be really nice to fix this.

Just as a side not, I read about a recall in 1979 on my model that refered to something like this problem. I called Nissan to find out if any previous owner actually took advantage of the recall, and at first they told me I had an invalide VIN even though I told them it was a 76, then they finaly brought it up and told me there was no recall, and I was staring at the government website that told me there was one. They then told me that they would call me back after researching more, and I get a message on my phone the other day saying they have my name in a computer and have no idea why its there, and are calling to find out. I havn't called back because I"m pretty sure that would be usless. Anyway, just a side note.

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

For the ticking, get a broom stick, dowel, or something like that, and you can use it like a stethiscope by touching it to the engine and the other end to your ear. BE VERY CAREFUL THAT YOU DO NOT GET CLOSE TO ANYTHING THAT CAN CONTACT YOU OR THE STICK!

If you hold it near the pump, you should hear a whiring if it is the water pump. If it still sounds more like a tick, try moving it over the valve cover or the intake runner as it may be a valve or an injector (if you have FI)

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

For the gas pedal issue, I had a similar problem with my Z, I found it was actually worn throttle shaft bushings that were allowing the butterflies in the carbs to grab into the side of the carb and stick some. I fixed it by slightly grinding the edge of the butterflies. (applicable if you have a carbed setup)

Guest yTTyTee

I have efi, so that won't be the problem. I'll go out and try the broomstick thing next time I see the car. Its parked at my parents place since I've decided insurance is a bit to much for me right now.(god I hate the bus though)

Throttle sticking. I have the same problem on my Pathfinder. Carbon deposits build up on the back side of the butterfly, and around throttle body. Quick fix is to start your car, remove the rubber boot from the TB, hold the trottle partily open, and spray with carburator cleaner. Try to keep the engine running so it does not flood. Usually lasts 8 Mo. to a year for me.

Long fix would obviously be to remove the TB and clean it well.