HybridZ

HELP-83 280ZXT VIBRATION/SHUDDER LIKE ELECTRIC HELICOPTER1

Guest jjohart

Guest jjohart

I posted this in driveline yesterday, but it isn't on this current site!

My 83 5 speed I/C'd Turbo has given me a new intermittent to worry about. When driving 30mph yesterday, I heard a weird harmonic coming from the rear of the car, which I thought sounded like a wierd tire whine or transmission/driveline/diff noise. About 15 secs later, the exhaust started sounding like a two stroke put put or helicopter buka buka bukka, the gearshift was pulsing at about 1/2 sec intervals like it was receiving rapid shock jolts (incredibly vibrational, almost too much to hold!) and the underhood sound was like a metallic tap-tap-tap, pretty much in the same beat as the shifter shocks.

This happened again at idle at a bank. I noticed turning on the heat made it a little worse, revving the car didn't raise it or smooth it..it just went away after a few minutes. The earlier time, I deliberately pushed the throttle at least half way to see if I still had even power...there wasn't any sputtering, the engine was still smooth (but not the gearshift vibrations!), though I think it was a bit sluggish in p.u, at least until boost came on.

I was told by folks on the Driveline of yesterdays' Hybrid site (not here though) to have my cat and exhaust shields checked, since this only has happened well into the car's being used/warmed up. I took the car to Custom Tubes, in Woburn, MA, where Willy very kindly lifted the car and looked under and ran it, etc, finding nothing wrong. He told me it's a misfire..

Oh, where do I go with yet this new intermittent? Right now, I'm scheduled at the local monkey mechanic's to replace at least one injector (where the boot disentegrated around it from leaking)...there may be others that are failing, even though I had them ultrasonically cleaned last fall at Nissan, as well as tune-up, new wires, spark plugs, cap, rotor, wires, fuel filter, etc, etc. I have gotten tips to go to Nissan yet again for a ECU "consult", but then I wonder about the iginition control unit, the entire distributor, what the hell else do I have to replace to stab this new lurch in the face!?!?!?!? I am a bit of a manic sort, and I'm afraid that what I'll end up doing is replacing almost every part, and somehow, I've got to make the madness stop!!

Any help outside the shrink's office greatly appreciated :oops:

Cheers

John

Ok John I know your desparate for answers but please just post in the most relevant forum only.

Yes sounds like a misfire if you have replaced cap leads etc check that the cap isn't loose or the wrong rotor & cap combination. Check that sparkplug wasn't damaged during intall "ie broken insulator" causing intermitant misfire.

If your starting to have problems with one injector I would replace them all as lifting the fuel rail is a time consuming job which you dont want to pay for more than once.

If I remember right yours was an 82 car check the vacuum lines to the BCDD Device that resides under the intake manifold between No 2-3 intake branches an air leak here leans out cyl 2-3 mimicking misfire.

Also check that you dont have a sticking EGR valve that will lean out No 6 Cyl mimicking misfire.

Worst scene senario "Blown Head Gasket" but check ALL simple things first like loose or dirty wire connectors and loose or split vacuum lines.

Good luck Neil.

John

Thats a good question as Aus didn't get turbo's the Aus factory manual doesn't have anything on it .

In the Haynes manual that does cover it there isn't a schematic for the Turbo model in chapter 6 Emmission Control.

So maybe with the ECCS ignition system they dont have it.

Pre 1982 engines the BCCD is on the base of the throttle body and has an electric solenoid.

1982 onwards it is mounted on the manifold between 2 & 3 and is vacuum controlled.

Most of the problems Ive had so far have related to vacuum lines falling off or splitting with age the most recent was one of the lines on the Vacuum tank which was split underneath where you couldn't see it at first.

Good luck Neil

John

found the schematatic for ECCS in Haynes Manual on page 106 in chapter 4 Fuel injection and turbo charging I was going to copy and Email but you haven"t listed an address.

Doesn't show BCCD so something less to worry about.

Buying shop manual would be cheap source of info if you haven't done so already.

83 or series II cars as we call them would be my preference of 280ZX because of all the mechanical and body improvements, if you have one thats not rusty it will be worth the effort solving its teething problems.

All the best Neil.