HybridZ

Can you guys help me decide what electronics to upgrade?

Guest 79Datsun280zx

Guest 79Datsun280zx

Im new to this site and new to the turbo motor. I posted about this on another side but didnt get any help, and i ended up finding this site. I read through the entire turbo's for beginners and FAQ post at the top. Thats the most help iv gotten yet. But i still have some more questions.

Iv decided to put out the money to upgrade my electronics cuz it looks like you have to to get 280+ hp. MSA has a bunch of expensive stuff and i was just wondering what to get from them, or if theres any other better deals out there. MSA has the racing computer and boost controller that i was looking at. $599 for the computer and $685 for the boost controller. Iv decided to put in a intercooler, hybrid turbo, bypass valve, fuel pump, and larger injectors with a stock top end rebuild. Im guessing that ill need better control modules to handle this stuff, but i have no idea what to buy or what i need. I dont want to spend a fortune, my goal is to run just over 300hp and retain a reliable engine. Will i need both those things from MSA? Or something different? $1285.00 +tax+shipping seems like alot of money to me. And i dont want to spend it if im not getting the right stuff. PLEASE help! Any other advice or anything would be appriciated. Like how to save money, better mods then i have listed, etc. Thanks!

Take time to read the MSS install guide above. If nothing else just to raise some more questions that will help you along. The schematics pictures are not in there right now, but that won't matter if your just looking for info. It will give you one idea of what its like to upgrade from the stock ECU.

Guest 79Datsun280zx

Well i went through and read through all of those links and posts. The pictures didnt show up so i couldnt look over those. It seems like it could be done, which is pretty sweet, considering your building your OWN computer/fuel managment system! There was alot of stuff i didnt understand though, like abriviated terms and such. What is the difference between MSS and MS? I didnt really get that. Are those the only two or are there more different versions. I have an 81 turbo motor, that is going to go into a 79-83 coupe some day when i find a rust free one. Should i just jump into it and buy it? I dont really know what to get. I know that ill have problems and alot of questions, is there help avalible? I couldnt figure out if this replaces the stock ECU or not. Thanks for the post though,

Hi,

IMO moving to larger injectors and modifying the EFI should be the last thing to do on the list. The stock EFI is good for 270-300 hp, specially if your stock system, i.e. fuel pump, injectors... are all functioning properly.

So first put in the new fuel pump, perhaps new adjustable fuel pressure regulator (turning up the pressure will allow for a little more fuel delivery), make absolutely sure that all ground and connectors (engine and ecu) are clean clean clean (if not already done), new vaccum hoses...

Also, do you already have a good exhaust system and high flow catalytic?

There is no need whatsoever for a electronic boost controller, all it is is a very nice toy (I still want one off course) and even while they sound a lot better than manual controllers, in objective test, many performed worse and some performed just a little better. The manual one cost 10-$100. many nice one can be bought for $50.0 (do search, do not get the ones that bleed the air, get a ball and spring/grainger type). So $549.0 saved.

Then put in the T3/T4, intercooler, larger throttle body (i.e., 240sx unit. Also, you should enlarge/grind the intake opening behind the throttle body port while your head is being rebuild so it will be match the larger throttle body, better to do it when the manifold is off so the metal filings don't get into the engine) and turn up the boost even more :twisted:

At this point the car will be so fast that unless your suspension is in real good shape (new bushings...) you will have much more engine than suspension (and even brakes).

Only at this point would I recommend that you start looking into larger injectors and so on. You will also have a much better idea on which way to go by then.

Guest Zcarsmakemyheadhurt

Well you are heading in the right directon at least, you have a good idea. I develope perfromance parts spacificly for L28's such as EFI systems, turbo upgrades intercooler kits etc...If you want to drop me a line I may be able to give you some guidence or just check the history of my post in my profile and you should find lots off discussions on topics concerning horsepower.

swap the turbo engine into the new car first and get it running right, then worry about upgrades and addons. I took that path and have been much happier. Trust me, you'll know more after the stock turbo swap, then you can make better decisions on where to go with your setup.

Guest 79Datsun280zx

Im not doing a swap. I have a complete turbo car but the frame is to rusty to keep it. I pretty much just bought it for the turbo motor and CV axels. So its going to be my mechanical doner car when i find my non rusty body. Its a good running car and i plan to just transfer all the under the hood components and wiring to the new car, since i have to take the existing ones off the new car anyway to do a proper paint job. So it doesnt mater wether the new car i get was a turbo or not. I have disasembled to the very last screw, baged and taged a 79 280zx 2+2 and sold most of the parts. And i have a no rust 83 2+2 that i got from california but i decided not to use it because i think the coupes look way better. Not sure what im going to do with that car now, probably just use it for parts. So im resonably framiler with the cars now. I really would like to get my car first and put the motor in but i dont know when im going to see a rust free body for a good price. (I live in Vancover BC, Canada by the way) So in the mean time i am just going to build my motor for it. I glad to hear that i can get 300hp out of the stock ECU, the computer and boost stuff was starting to sound like a complicated nightmare. Im not very framiler with the turbo system and its components though. lol, like i had no idea there was such thing as a mechanical boost controller :oops: So im kinda learning as i go. However im vary knowledgeable about how turbo chargers work, at one point i was actually building a turbo jet engine out of one, but it turned into one of those unfinished projects that sits in your garage. But things like intercoolers, wastegates, BOV, etc im just learning about.