HybridZ

Man i sure dont know what im doing...

Guest 79Datsun280zx

Guest 79Datsun280zx

Hey, i have a few questions about my turbo motor. Im upgrading the turbo, getting an intercooler, BOV, and 60mm throttle body. I took a closer look at the turbo car i bought and found some stuff i was unsure about. First thing was these lines that went to the throttle body. They looked like coolant lines, is there coolant that goes pumped through the throttle body?? They went into this small box looking thing that was mounted ontop. When i get my 1990 240sx throttle body is this going to be a problem? The other thing i wasnt sure about was a outlet that comes out of the pipe that goes from the throttle body, it comes out and brances off to three different places. One goes to the throttle body through some weird thing that has a electrical connector attached to it. The 2nd goes back into the intake and the third goes into some type of vacuum controlled thing. Is this some type of stock BOV? My main question what are all those two things, what do they do, and what do i do with them when i get my proformance parts? Is there anything else that iv missed that ill have to change or modify? THANKS!

Guest 79Datsun280zx

Sorry theres some mistakes in that post...

"is there coolant that goes pumped through the throttle body?" is supposed to say is there coolant that gets pumped through the throttle body

"The other thing i wasnt sure about was a outlet that comes out of the pipe that goes from the throttle body" Thats supposed to say ...that goes from the turbo into the throttle body.

"My main question what are all those two things," lol i ment all those things, dont know where the two came from.

Those are coolant lines going to the throttle body. The 240sx throttle body will have them also, but coming out at different angle so you need to re-route the coolant lines.

The 3 branch thingy you refer to has different functions. First, the thing with the electrical connector is your air regulator. It lets extra air into the stock throttle body right after the butterfly(throttle plate) to help the cold engine idle. If you change to 240sx TB, you can get an adapter plate that uses this same hookup for the idle.

Another one of those hoses from the branch goes to the AAC valve. The other goes to a check valve and into the number 4 intake runner. I can't say much about those because I removed the AAC and EGR valves when running my stock engine setup(with these two removed then the VCM(vacuum control modulator) get removed). As for the check valve in the number 4 runner, ??. Maybe somebody else can shed some light on that one.

Heh heh, this is only going to raise more questions than answers for you. :twisted:

Guest 79Datsun280zx

lol that does raise more questions. Mainly im worried about when i get my new turbo and BOV, how im going to hook them into the stock system. I dont know if the stock stuff could handle doulbe or triple the boost. Thanks for the throttle body answers, thats answerd a few of my questions. The other question i had is...i got an intercooler with 2.5" inlets, that just seems kinda small to me. But since almost all of them had that size and smaller i figured it must be the way its supposed to be. But wouldnt it hurt he proformance to be piping the air through all that stuff? like its going to have to come through the filter, into the turbo, do a 90 over to the intercooler, go through 33 inches of intercooler then out a 2.5" hole do a 180 back toward the throttle body and then a 90 in, all through 2.5" hose. Does restriction matter at all with boost? Seems to me thats like running your exhause through a series of bends all over the place before going out the back. Anyway, can someone shed some more light on how to put my new turbo and piping in?

Those are good questions, the answers could fill pages. Having all of that piping is going to slow down the response of the turbo, it won't perform quite like it does now with just the j-pipe. But in the end you will be making more power, the boost may not seem to hit as sudden as with the j-pipe. Restriction is one of your enemies with intercoolers and piping. Restriction causes the air to heat up and that defeats your purpose. All intercoolers and piping will have some restriction, you have to decide how much money to spend and what you can live with. More exspensive intercoolers have less retriction, good manufacturers should always list pressure drops across the intercooler which in a roundabout way tells you how restrictive it is. You want the least pressure drop of course. Keeping your piping as short as you can will help the boost response.

Guest 79Datsun280zx

Well i read though the turbo post for beginners at the top a few times and it stressed that you should dump money into the biggest and best intercooler you could find. It said Spearco's were the best. So i decided to put out the cash for one and bought a Spearco 33x10x3" with 2.5" inlets. Its so big im going to have to do some custom work on the front end of my car :twisted: Anyway, i havent read that link you posted yet so this might be in there, but should i step up to 3" or 4" pipe after i get outside the intercooler? Or just pipe it all with 2.5"? Thanks, ill read that link and then post if i have more questions.

Guest 79Datsun280zx

Well i read all the link that was posted, learned quite a bit. But my question about what to do with those hoses that come off the the pipe coming from the turbo going to the intake. As for pipe should it be all metal for some reason? Of course this would help with heat loss. But i found this stuff on ebay that looks good and i could bend the stuff with a heat gun he says. Heres the linke

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=38634&item=2465484183

Or should i try and do as much metal tubing as possible?