HybridZ

77 vs 78 oil pressure sending unit

I recently replaced the oil sending unit in my 78 with a brand new one and it works fine. This car is trash (frame broke in half :oops: ), so now want to use this oil sending unit on a 77. Both have the 2.8L

Problem: The 78 has 2 wires going to the unit and the 77 only has 1 wire. I looked at the Z manual but haven't been able to figure out where the extra wire should go. I am not an electrical wizard but feel that one of them is a ground.

Any help on using this sender on the year older car would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

It's not a ground. On the '78 one wire goes to the guage and the other goes to one of the fuel pump relays. Nissan used it as a way to shut off the fuel supply/engine if you ever flip the car over. FI motors will happily run regardless of the direction of gravity. Guess they saw it as a way of saving fuel. No sense running the motor with the wheels sticking up in the air.

You could get a manual to check and see which is which. But the easy way is just to hook one up and see if it works. If not just switch the wires. It wont hurt the guage.