HybridZ

car died on me

If you ran the tank dry you may have sucked up sludge, rust, crap, whatever else is sitting at the very bottom of the tank and clogged the filter. I'd replace it first and see what happens.... It's also somewhat likely that the pump burned up from not pushing any gasoline through, so both of your guesses are valid..

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

A 1997 and Chevy didnt put in an automatic shutoff for the pump?!?

My 89 Honda even has that... I'm pretty sure that is something that legally has to be there and has been that way since the mid 80's.

What did the shop indicate the $750 was for? Did they say you need a new pump?

I'd think it would be more likely that you just lost all of the fuel pressure, and the fuel pump is taking a minute to develop pressure since the engine is not running. Cranking it over for a few minutes (taking breaks to not toast the starter) may allow the fuel pump to operate to re-pressurize the system. Removing the spark plugs will reduce load on the starter (but, of course, it cant start up that way). I'm not a real mechanic, but that is what I would try.

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

I was under the impression that it only turns on the fuel pump momentarily and then there needs to be oil pressure to keep the fuel pump operating. This is a safety measure that was implemented to keep the fuel pump from pumping fuel if the engine turns off in an accident so the fuel doesnt get pumped into a hazardous situation. I thought this was a safety regulation implemented for all cars.

Guest BigWhyteDude

just a thought, but in blazers (S-10)'s there is a fuel pump primer lead under the hood. You touch a 12v hot wire from batt to that lead and it activates the fuel pump. If the camaro's have this its worth a try. Also if it does, have a friend listen at the back of the car to see if they can hear the pump running while you direct power it. I knowthis is a bunch of if's but, Its a thought. :idea:

Andrew