HybridZ

Installing L28et and need help with wiring

Phyte

I searched for the last hour and have found some good articles about installing an L28et into my early Z, but none of them discuss wiring. I'm going to pick up the haynes manual today and start studying. I have a huge box full of wires that I have no clue where they go. By installing a 77 non egr intake can I get rid of some of these wires and how do I fool the computer by taking out these emissions. The motor will be 83' completely stock to start out with. Can you point me to a good wiring write-up for installing this motor?

The motor will be going in in late april or early May, but I want to get this all sorted out now and do it right the first time!

Thanks

Phyte

Ya, all I've found is talk about drilling a 1.5" diameter hole in the firewall for the ECM wires. I bought this engine already seperated from the 83zxt and it literally has a huge box full of wires. I need to get this engine in and running within a weeks time so I need to educate myself on what all those wires are?? Some might be wires I don't even need I don't know.

Anyone?

Phyte

I did the install in my 73 240z last year and it went smooth, only have to connect a handfull of wires. Use the turbo EFI wiring harness and then connect in the few signals according to the wiring chart in the turbo swap FAQ. One for fuel pump relay, one for switched power to ECU, couple for ECU power, start signal hooked to starter solenoid wire so ECU only gets voltage during cranking otherwise you will run really rich all the time. Its about 7 wires. Ground the inhibit so it will start. Notice there are two YW wires in the same connector, so get the right one for the coil/ignitor. Did you guys see this in the turbo swap FAQ, if not pass on the info to the next guy. Good luck. Your BW wire on the 240z is switched 12volts. As mentioned your starter solenoid wire is only on during cranking for the start signal back to the ECU. let me know if you have more questions.

You need to get a Haynes manual for '79 to '83 280ZX. This is the one with the red cover. Look on page 252, this is the wiring diagram. You will see 3 plugs labeled "1,2,3" with circles around the numbers. This is at the lower left-hand side of the page.

The wires are as follows:

Plug 1= BR 12v power source. Positive

G 12v power source. Positive

Plug 2=Y start signal (+)

GL ground for inhibitor switch

YW speed sensor (not necessary)

Y A/C signal (+)

YW coil (-) (must use ignitor)

B fuel pump ground if using modulator

Plug 3=LR fuel pump relay

G ignition .signal (+) for air regulator

W not used

Y not used

BW ignition signal (+)

Outstanding man, thank you. I picked up the haynes manual yesterday and will look at that diagram tonight. I read through the turbo FAQ, but I guess I missed the information or something :oops::oops:

I've always been able to get engines out in one day, and the next day have a new engine in and running. Those were carbed chevy motors though and didn't have all these wires :D

Phyte

Ok I dug into the box of wires tonight and it turns out that there are just two harness's. One is the engine harness, but what is the other? I assume its the "chassis" wiring to control functions like electric windows etc?? This is why I was so confused, I saw a TON of wires and got concerned :D

Harness 1

DSC01398.jpg

Harness 2

DSC01399.jpg

Phyte

ewww, holy cow, I only used the EFI harness that goes from the ECU to the engine sensors and injectors. Don't mess with that other stuff, just keep your 240z chassis harness and splice the wires you need for example the fuel pump. My 240z had the extra electric fuel pump to help with vapor lock so I already had wires run to the back for my electric pump. I just went through the 240z schematic and figured out where to tie in for the electric pump wires. Of course I used the turbo fuel pump. I did not use any of the fusible links, I just added my own little fuse block for the ECU, EFI and fuel pump relay power.

Guest pintoz

I am swapping a 83 zxt motor into a 81 zx n/a. I just pulled out the two harnesses from the turbo engine bay a week ago. Harness 1 has a bunch of relay leads on it. The black plastic box 2 fuel pump, air-con, bulb check, and lighting relays. It also has a inhibitor relay if it came from an auto trans. Harness 2 is what you mainly need, but there is also other junk in there. Parking lights, marker lights, windshield washer reservoir pump and sensor, etc. It will be probably another week until I start installing the harnesses. I have most of the leads marked, if you have any ?'s just ask.

I am swapping a 83 zxt motor into a 81 zx n/a. I just pulled out the two harnesses from the turbo engine bay a week ago. Harness 1 has a bunch of relay leads on it. The black plastic box 2 fuel pump, air-con, bulb check, and lighting relays. It also has a inhibitor relay if it came from an auto trans. Harness 2 is what you mainly need, but there is also other junk in there. Parking lights, marker lights, windshield washer reservoir pump and sensor, etc. It will be probably another week until I start installing the harnesses. I have most of the leads marked, if you have any ?'s just ask.

Ok so I need harness 2 then? I thought harness 1 was the engine harness. I don't have the motor at my house yet and coulnd't match any of this stuff up yet.

I hate to sound like a newb, I've put plenty of engines in with my pops, but this is the first solo one so its a little confusing :D Pintoz I'll PM ya in a couple weeks when I have the engine at my house so I can start labeling things.

Phyte

Guest das280zx

I can't tell which harness you need from those pics. The first one looks to simple and the second one looks too complicated. All you really need is the one for the efi. You should be able to tell because it will have the six injector plugs (all wired the same) a funny coax plug (for the crank angle sensor) and alot of other crap. Check out my webpage I made on the subject:

http://www.strausz.us/zcar/turboswap/

It is more for swapping between 280zx's, but I have nissan efi and eccs wiring diagrams there.

Good news, its neither one of those in the picture. My motor is up at my dad's shop in KS and I just had him check and the EFI harness is still attached to the engine. Harness 1 above is for the headlights, and harness 2 is for everything else including electric windows, locks, wiper, etc. I was going nuts trying to figure this out, then I thought crap its still probably attached to the engine :D

Phyte

Guest Paul Felker

you need the harness with the ecu on it. you dont need the harness that you pulled from under the dash! I didnt even use the turbo harnessI'm still useing my stock 78 harness?!?!