HybridZ

HID lighting cheap for Zs?

Guest datsun280zmike

Guest datsun280zmike

im not really sure...have to ask them about that one...as far as bulbs go you can always use and HID bulb because its really not a sealed beam headlight as you can seperate the bulb from the housing...

• 3 weeks later...
Guest triv280zx

I think that lights you bought are first generation of X6024, and they had clearance price because they are being replaced by new generation. As much as I find info on net they had many lacks.

Check these sites:

http://www.redhummer.com/myhummer/headlights/hid_headlights_x6024_for_the_hummer.htm

http://www.brightheadlights-hid.com/Headlights-sealed-beams.htm

Question is did you converted from sealed beam or from halogen lights.

Only right comparation is between (different genrations) hid lights and h4 lights.

And there is always a matter of price.

HID lights cost 300$, 500$ and 700$ depending of generation.

H4 lights are way cheaper.

Here is link for those who like angel-eye lights

http://www.minitrailers.com/angel.htm

Vladimir

Guest jjohart

For those of you who didn't get the replacement Sylvania headlamps, don't fret too much. I got an e mail response a couple of months back from one of the engineers who designed all of the Xenarc product...he basically told me that the round 7" headlamps were discontinued b/c of problems with "hot spots" in the beams. He was very clear that the overall beam pattern from these particular units was inferior...whether that is in comparison to halogen 7"s or other OEM xenon units (not necessarily 7" round, but DOT compliant), I dunno...I do know the excuse heard around that sales department was that there 'just wasn't enough demand', but given what the product development costs probably were for these units, I suspect that there was watering down of the intensity and beam shape b/c of having to make sure that individual installation variances wouldn't cause the blinding of oncoming drivers, and in turn, lawsuits against Sylvania!

In any event, I chose to get the auxillary xenon lamps, rather than put in a system I'd have to pull off with more difficulty in the event I sold the car.

These lights aren't as bright or effective as xenon OEM applications, number one b/c they lack the elliptical reflectors that would shape the beam more effectively, and two, there is a weird beam pattern with these too-the engineer told me I'd be happier with these, so I really wonder how much worse the replacement headlamps must be! It would seem obvious, at least from my experience, that these are, unfortunately, bling items, with much more flash from the xenon color than effective reflector delivery of even light..there is a web page with a comparo between the BMW 5 xenon beam and Xenarc aux lights, and it is clear that the Xen is really more of a dim wit's idea of a brighter fog light...but then, I bought them too!

John-83 I/C'd 280ZXT, in body shop for full paint-over (silver-blue metallic!) :P

P.S., has anyone tried the MSA "free flow" 7" headlamps...they really look out of place on a "classic", IMHO, but I wonder if they have a better beam pattern than Cibie? Anything's better than Hella, though!