HybridZ

Lean Problems

jvanen

Hey guys I have a stock 83zxt in my 77. Under heavy boost it will fall flat on its face. If I put it in first and take off, right when it hits about 4 grand lose all power if the accelerator is wide open. If I bring it back to about 1/2 way it will continue to boost with no problems. I didn't have this problem before I put my new bosch 255lph fuel pump on. Any Ideas of what it might be :?: I pulled the spark plugs out and they are really white....it seems that it is leaning out :shock: I dont' know, maybe I have more than one problem here.

Boost on,

jvanen

Guest bastaad525

The very common "four grand problem". This has happened to most of us, where the car will rev and boost fine but under WOT at about 4000rpm the motor will suddenly cut out. The fix for this, 9 times outta 10, is usually very simple. Get yourself a can of electrical parts cleaner spray (some people recommend brake parts cleaner spray, dont know why though), disconnect the wiring harness from the ECU, AFM, sensors, and if you want to be really thourough, the injectors. Spray all the connector ends off, on the harness and on all the stuff it connects too. This has always fixed the problem for me, and for quite a few other guys here. Unfortunately it can be a reoccuring problem, but it seems that as long as I disconnect the connectors from the ECU every so often (like once a month or so) and clean them off, I haven't had it come back since then.

Sometimes just disconnecting the ECU for a few seconds is even good enough to solve it. Next time it does this to you just pull over, shut the car off and try that, then take off normally and see if it hasn't gone away.

Hope this helps :)