HybridZ

The Cost of Conversion

Guest Pony_Lover

Guest Pony_Lover

(Note: I wasn't sure where to put this so I picked misc tech)

First I want to thank the members who have posted the various guides to a Datsun V8 conversion. They are really nice and I can visualize it in my head. :2thumbs:But my question is cost. I know the cost of the JTR kits and stuff, but how much does a typical Datsun run? I'm not talking a nice, straight bodied, 200 mile on the odometer car, I mean a daily driver that has its share of rust and dings (we get alot of rust in Nebraska). I want to build a drag project this summer and I kinda want a beat up sleeper. (I'm planning on painting it 'suede', aka primer and welding a mailbox to the hood :wink:) Anyway, just curious if the cost is reasonable for a teenager with a fast food job and regularly broken mustang. Thanks for you time in reading this at the very least. :-)

Guest bastaad525

Average early Z (240) will run from $2000 up to $5000 for really clean cars. If weight and smog arent and issue, later 280's in good shape can be $1000 or even cheaper.

I got lucky and found my '72 240 for a low low $250. It was a work-in-progress, interior was stripped (dash was still in though), paint half sanded off, and a dinged up hood and fender. It had not been run in 13 years... despite that the stock 240 motor started right up and idled okay once we installed a new battery! The body itself is VERY good rust-wise, frame is great, only minor rust in the engine bay and the rear hatch.... anyways... a very good project car that has since sucked up a hell of a lot more money that the $250 entry price! But it just goes to show that there are good deals out there for guys like us who are gonna end up tearing the car apart anyways, swapping drivetrains and stuff.

Guest Pony_Lover

Today I found a Z (280 I think, don't hold me to that) with a turbo and a little rust for $500....it doesn't run, but I dont want that engine anyway. Wish me luck!

Guest Pony_Lover

A 1968 coupe. It had a real yawner 200 CI straight 6 so last summer/winter I rebuilt a 351C and plunked it in there. (Okay so my dad helped.) As for the Datsun it is a 280ZX and I'm seeing it this thursday. I'm giddy as a school girl. ;)